Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

SteelTree Guest

Default Anyone Use A Hand Beveller?

I'm glad I bumped into this site. Needless to say, first time poster.

I was flipping through this month's AWS Journal and saw an ad for a hand held plate beveller. The tool looks pretty neat--sure beats using a grinder. I was wondering if anyone has experience using one of these tools and if so any recommendations on a good brand/mfc.

TIA

Cool

I've used one a couple of years ago. Didn't really care much for it. This one used a carbide burr for a cutting edge and lacked any real cutting power. It took multiple passes to get a good bevel. I'll stick with my grinder.

Thumbs up

I have used a hand held beveler a lot. It has four carbide tips. They can break easy if you do not keep pressure on it. If you are looking to bevel a piece for welding a grinder does good. I used it for beveling bit holders for loader buckets. It has capable of an 1 1/2 bevel.

never used one. a grinder and torch have taken me a long way.

If your beveling plate, Bug-O is the way to go. If pipe, then a rotary beveler. Although, one cannot replace the value of the ability to get a good bevel by hand with a torch and a little clean up with a grinder.

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

Off topic but I can't help it...I've never seen a poster with "guest status"...how does that happen??

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

When you aren't registered on this site?

They work great. They can definitely pay for themselves quickly. Nice for weld prep( 40' of 1" material needing to be CJP welded, or for lots of small parts ) just make sure you clean off the oil prior to welding
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Seneca the Younger