Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need some plasma cutter help pls .

Well I got the star cut plasma cutter hooked up today and tried it . Im using the standoff for the torch but not sure if its the right one or not as it holds tip away from workpiece approx .25" not sure if this is normal or not you have to understand this was all bought at an auction so really had no idea if this thing worked or not. Ok the machine will cut but on lower amps only i guessing around 30 amps anything above that the arc goes on and off . im just cutting some .125" material to try it out . i set air at reccomend flowing pressure of 70 psi and air is very clean so i know that is not the problem . also seems to go through the tips very quickly so might be a torch promlem i dont know . also there are two parts to the torch tips the inner copper piece and the outside piece that has a .055 hole in it . when tighening the outer piece sometimes its like im tightening against a spring sometimes it just bottoms out . I have polarity set right this runs off and external welding powersource and im giving it 375 amps of dc power . machine is a powcon starcut . when trying to cut let say at 40 amps you have to cut really fast or the arc goes on and off .but on 30amps it stays steady .machine goes to 80 amps . pls anyone someone must know someone with one of these type of machines .
    Miller aerowave full feature
    Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
    dynasty 200 dx
    lincoln sp 135 plus
    302 trailblazer
    s22p12
    powcon starcut
    cp 400 metal spray

come on guys someone must have some info?
    dynasty 200 dx
    lincoln sp 135 plus
    302 trailblazer
    s22p12
    powcon starcut
    cp 400 metal spray

Quote Originally Posted by dandimand
    when trying to cut let say at 40 amps you have to cut really fast or the arc goes on and off .but on 30amps it stays steady .machine goes to 80 amps . pls anyone someone must know someone with one of these type of machines .
    Dan, I hope you can get this figured out. I'm not sure how much help I'll be as I know little about PCs and in what I do know, I have never heard of a machine performing like that without something being SNAFU. I don't think the tip being .25 off the material should be any sort of problem, seems like it would be about right IMHO. Is the air bottled, or how do you know it is clean? What about the lines, have they been stored in a manner that they could have moisture / contaminants in them? This would be my bet. Also, are you sure the ground cable is A-OK? I would put a continuity meter / ohm meter on it just to be double sure.

I ground the stand off down a bit to try it . works much better now i can at least get to around 50 amps . the ground maybe partially suspect as its kinda rusty i will replace it . i was just out trying it again . it wouldnt cut half inch but cut .25 no problem though cut wasnt straight it was at about a 15 deg angle . im really starting to suspect this torch maybe the problem as i think the machine is fine though i know the air is perfect as everything is all new that way and im running some big filter looks like a roll or toilet paper on the machine and the air coming into machine runs through a refigerator first . Im really thinking that upgrading to one of the new style torches may solve the problem completly and i will replace the ground from the plasma cutter . the way this thing work is you hook the ground from a cc welding source of at least 300 amps to the machine and the positive from the cc welding source to the work as well as the ground clamp of the machine to the work . kinda like a remote wire feed i guess .
    dynasty 200 dx
    lincoln sp 135 plus
    302 trailblazer
    s22p12
    powcon starcut
    cp 400 metal spray

Dan, I know of the type of filter you have. never used one but have heard of them, and they are supposed to be good. That coupled with a coiled refer. water separator and you are definitely good in the iar department, providing your hoses are ok. Seems like a weird way of hooking the machine up, keeps us welders on our toes I agree that the torch is suspect.

Yea i will call arc products in the morning see what they reccomend . stephan you busy tomorrow stop bye if you like .
    dynasty 200 dx
    lincoln sp 135 plus
    302 trailblazer
    s22p12
    powcon starcut
    cp 400 metal spray

thanks Dan, tomorrow is more fabrication, prep for paint, and rust converter by late evening. Got almost everything done in regards to the major work, getting excited but still anxious as all get-out, maybe even more so now. Once in a while you'll catch me out there past 1:30 am, this thing just might be the death of me yet It never ceases to amaze me how long some things can take when you are custom designing and then building them for the first time. I'm sure you are no stranger to that

That truck is gonna be sharp when (if? ) you get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim
    That truck is gonna be sharp when (if? ) you get it done.
    Yup, I won't be able to do the final super-high gloss coat of paint until it warms up, but untill then it will get a regular industrial enamel gloss grey. Was looking at where to mount the 3.5" round backup lights that glow after you shut them off. It'll look like a pair of green eyes going down the road Too many little things thought, so much stuff that needs to be done in that reagrds. Spent 4 hours filling and grinding smooth unneccasry holes in the deck, boxes, sides, heck, they were everywhere. Seemed like the solution to any of their problems was to just drill some more holes in the thing.

From what I've read; I think you should only need to be about 1/16" above the work.