Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I use a Pace soldering iron/station both at home and at work. They have adjustable heat, and really work well. Most importantly though, you can get tiny little tips for them, which you will need if your soldering tiny little stuff. The price can range anywhere from $100 on up. I have a ST25 model at home and use it on very small IC's with a small tip and it works great.
    Also, get the smallest solder you can find. That should help as well.

Good Luck,
    Joshua

You can get a setup with a small iron in the 15 watt range. They are about $160 or so. But like I said, although I need one, I've never seen the inside of a hearing aid. The new chips on computer mother boards are soldered with hot air, but a small iron can be used on a regular circuit board. You might try a hamfest or a flea market around you. Sometimes you can find then there.

Also get some teeny solder which is also sort of expensive but a pound will probably last you a career.

I forgot to mention earlier that I have a thing called an OptiVisor that has an adjustable headband much like your welding helmet and it just swivels down in front of my eyes. You can also use it with glasses. Indispensible for removing steel slivers and such. I don't work on electronics anymore so it is devoted to splinter duty!

Let us know how the venture goes. I'd give it a shot if I were you.....

mow

Joshua, sorry....I must have been typing when you posted.......

Didn't mean to double up on the info...

mow

Thanks for the info.
    After looking on the auction site.There is so much to choose from.
    I'm guessing that I'll need a small micro or pencil type iron?

Mowjunk,
    No problem, don't worry about it. It think that more information is better than less.
    Joshua

I use a Haco for standard use and a Den-on for hole blowing and sucking solder, it's a one stop gun with a built-in vacumn, plus you can get the SMD tips for it.

Bigger stuff like comutators, mig guns and plasma torches I use Low temp silver solder, ltrade name "Staybrite", cats ass.

I use an ancient 25 watt weller for small stuff, I sharpen the tip to a fine point(kinda like a tungsten electrode).

Btw Cruizer, do you still have a used coolmate for sale?

Look at the Metcal brand - we've been using these for the last several years at work (we used to use Weller, but not anymore).

http://www.okinternational.com/soldering

They have a large selection of tips, and they are super easy to change between sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg60143
    Look at the Metcal brand - we've been using these for the last several years at work (we used to use Weller, but not anymore).

http://www.okinternational.com/soldering

They have a large selection of tips, and they are super easy to change between sizes.
    Those look nice.How much are they like the SP200?

I'm no too sure on the prices. You should use their links to find the rep in your area. If you have alot to rework, they have tips designed to remove surface mount components in one shot - it beats the **** out of using a regular iron and solder wick (especially if you're not VERY careful - you can lift the traces right off of the PCB).