Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default buyin a tig today help sync 200 or ta 185

I hate to start another one of these threads ,but i dont wanna make a mistake. From my research they both seem **** good. The TA is 300 cheaper,210 lbs lighter, has adjustable frequency, and its in inverter. Only thing it dosent have is the blue color.

I'd still get the inverter. The flexibility and portability is nice to have. If you need those extra 15 amps, then go for the Sync 200. If I were doing day in and day out steel work and occasional aluminum, then I'd consider a transfomer machine. The Sync 200 is a shop based machine - you won't be hauling it around - at least I hope not! Inverters are pretty trick and I have no regrets - I own four welding machines that are inverter based and my Plasma is inverter based. The lower input power requirements and finer tuning you can do on them, plus the arc quality has really sold me. I'm NOT an expert by any means - but I do know quality and have done my research. I can't recall reading really anything negative about the TA 185TSW. Most was speculation about support. So far they seem to be very reliable and I'd have no problems buying one. I think if there was a TA 200TSW - there would be a lot less questions being asked and more buying taking place.
    David W.
    Machines: Millermatic Passport; Millermatic 350P, Dynasty 300DX TIGRunner, TD Cutmaster 51 Plasma, Hypertherm 190C Plasma,
    Machinery and Project Pictures: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by unixadm
    I'd still get the inverter. The flexibility and portability is nice to have.
    But lugging the big argon bottle around is not easy.

I have smaller tanks and larger tanks for that very reason. If I can pick it up from the welding supply - I can transport it to another site. Plus don't forget using the machine for stick - you don't need a bottle there.
    David W.
    Machines: Millermatic Passport; Millermatic 350P, Dynasty 300DX TIGRunner, TD Cutmaster 51 Plasma, Hypertherm 190C Plasma,
    Machinery and Project Pictures: Click Here

My 150cf is a handful, but if I only had that and a little inverter to cart onto the job site, I would be thankful. The tigmate is small enough to be portable, but at 165#, it's not a one man job to carry it any kind of distance.

fishy jim which one of the 2 would u suggest? I dont care if about portability ,but i do plan on doing quite a bit of aluminum

I'm a tig newbie. I got my tigmate for 600 used and it included the 150cf bottle. When I get better at it, and it has made me some money, then I'll get into a better machine. There's far more qualified opinions on that question than mine (and I haven't bothered comparing them either).