Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Setup Welding Rig?

Hi there...

I am from BC Canada and I am going to be setting up a welding rig. I am looking at a few options and would TRULY APPRECIATE any help from the BEEN THERE DONE THAT people, and of course whoever has advice.

I have been welding for 9 years now and have 4 Pressure Pipe tickets. I work with the UA 170 Pipefitters union most of the time. I have turned into an awesome tig welder (so i've been told). I enjoy stick also, but I enjoy no chipping of slag or wire wheeling.

I am looking at getting the following machine and truck:

Trailblazer 302 diesel or gas (not sure...help?)

Ford 1 ton or Dodge 1 ton Diesel or Chevy 1 ton for that matter with around 50,000 km (30,000 miles)

I have read a lot of threads and think the "Trailblazer 302" would be a good starter welder. I love the "Miller XMT 304" took my A, B, and C, ticket (in bc) with this welding machine. I have read that the arc etc are similar.

I don't have a bias on trucks. I really like the look of all three, but I want a diesel with power, but ECONOMY also. I don't need tons of horse or torque. Enough to haul a welding rig and tools.

Overall I am tired of making $3000 a week when I know there is a lot more to be made. I would also like to be my own boss. Although, I am except when it comes to paycheques.

Default new rig

good luck on that new rig. I just set one up myself. The hardest thing I found was finding the right truck with low klms for the right price, of course if money is no object there is lots to choose from. Finally went with a few more miles and good loking- Dodge cummins 3500 dually. Always looking for owner /operators for different projects, where in B.C are you from ?when do you expect to be ready to go?

Kind Regards,
    Richard.

Hey richard, not trying to steal steve's job offering, but I also live in BC with a welding truck and am looking for work. I am located in Prince George. Any heads up or contacts would be great.

Tom