Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Poor aluminum appearance

I have been using a sync 250 for years and I have just bought a Dynasty 200dx. With both machines the weld bead is shiney but looks as if there is "sand" embedded within the bead. Any thoughts as to why? I use 4043 filler and ceriated tungsten slightly to the more penitration side of balance... have tried more cleaning but no change.

I was playing with my Dynasty200 DX last night and noticed the same thing.
    Most of it went away by ajusting the High Freq. down I also liked the look when I set the AC balance at 50

TJ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TJ______________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by scottieweld View Post
    I have been using a sync 250 for years and I have just bought a Dynasty 200dx. With both machines the weld bead is shiney but looks as if there is "sand" embedded within the bead. Any thoughts as to why? I use 4043 filler and ceriated tungsten slightly to the more penitration side of balance... have tried more cleaning but no change.
    Well you're kinda loosing me here....do you mean that your welds have had that look for years? If you are referring to just this particular job and both welders get the same result I would be looking at the prep not going over all my settings. Sounds like you were close enuff to start with. Plasma cut edges and using grinding wheels make edges that have crap inbedded deep inside that floats to the top of the bead. Mechanical methods such as shearing and sawing give much better results. Keeping your rod in the argon flow when welding will also keep from introducing oxides into the bead.

We've changed filler suppliers and ever since I get this crap sandy look. It seems to come and go though. I'm perplexed...

Scottieweld can you post some pic's of the weld you are talking about?

I feel I am not understanding exactly what the look is, also include the weld peramiters ,flow rate amps other settings gas lens type cleaning procedures.
    TJ______________________________________

There was a huge thread on this a while back on here about this with the dynasty machines. Try 5356 filler. I used this the other day on my accumulator tank I made with my dyn 300DX. It came out shiny(5356) and no grainy look or feel. Someone stated in the other post about how the inverter machines bring the silicone to the surface that cause the grainy look. I cannot find the thread on this, but do a search and you should be able to find it. It is on the Motorsports board, Ask Andy.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Last edited by TJS; 01-02-2007 at 07:14 AM.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
    South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Last edited by Sundown; 01-02-2007 at 08:06 AM.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Thanks guys..... I'm beating a dead horse here.... But for all its worth I get the same grainy look with a Dyn 300 and sync. 250 although not quite as bad... I'll keep plugging at it.

In code work at our shop I require the tip of the filler to be cut off with wire cutters and the filler rod to be cleaned with stainless steel wool. Oxidation sets in on aluminum is short order. Don
    www.cvweld.com
    SA-250
    Vantage 400
    Millers 251'S
    Dodge Rig Trucks/ Usual shop equip.