Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Check out the blades here....Bob http://www.mkmorse.com/
    Got to get one of those! That is amazingly fast cutting.Thanks for the link.
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

There are many carbide tipped blades out there for cutting steels and non-ferrous metals. I've used a 7 1/2" circular saw with the proper blade, 40 to 58 tooth with a negetive tooth offset for free hand cutting aluminum, and other carbide blades designed for steel in cut off saws. They last a lot longer than abrasive blades with the right lubrcant. However, using zip cuts with a grinder makes quick and easy cuts on thin sheet metal or smaller structural sections.

Smile Thanks too all of you for the good advice!!

Thanks Welders.........I have used a circular saw with abrasive blades with
    destorted results and very unsafe...you need to wear armour to use one and be
    safe. I really appreciate you men's input...sounds like a good chop saw with a
    metal blade is my best application!

Quote Originally Posted by budbuc View Post
    Thanks Welders.........I have used a circular saw with abrasive blades with
    destorted results and very unsafe...you need to wear armour to use one and be
    safe. I really appreciate you men's input...sounds like a good chop saw with a
    No! A chop saw with a metal cutting blade is dangerous!!
    There's no way to hold the work being cut, & it'll spin the blade too fast.
    Do it if you want to, but I sure wouldn't do it!!

I have side tables for my chop saw, it helps holding the metal for the saw. I do the same thing for shear. But larger pieces, I use my Plasma Cutter, it's fast, it you have the stand off on it, it will cut like a dream. Faster than O/A.

Each technology has it's place, you just have to know how to use them. I learned the hard way a couple of times, but I survived.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by budbuc View Post
    ...sounds like a good chop saw with a
    Just a request for clarification since I've seen and heard "chop saw" used both for metal cutoff saws and for miter saws used for wood crosscuts. Which definition are you using? If you are talking about a woodworking miter saw, I echo Frank865's caution. Not to mention I wouldn't want to risk several hundred dollars worth of compound sliding miter saw by cutting iron with it.
    Last edited by TomVeatch; 12-30-2006 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Typo
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

This is what a Chop Saw looks like:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39755

A Mitre Saw is for cutting wood and in the case of a picture frame shop, aluminum frames.

Here is a Miter Saw:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91852

If you use a miter Saw as a chop saw, it will loose it's quality adjustments and the compound angle will not be that accurate after some useage. The Chop Saw is meant to cut straight down. With the stage or vice being able to be moved on one plane.

Jerry

Default Hey Frank......

Quote Originally Posted by Frank865 View Post
    No! A chop saw with a metal cutting blade is dangerous!!
    There's no way to hold the work being cut, & it'll spin the blade too fast.
    Do it if you want to, but I sure wouldn't do it!!
    You want to re-think that?
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

If I was cutting aluminum I'd use that wood saw in a heartbeat,,,,but I would use my brain as well. If you have a background using a saw of that style with wood then you'll have no problem but if you are a noobie that sets behind a desk all day and never took a day of shop in school then STOP!!!
    Get some training or yer gonna hurt yourself or worse yet somebody else!!
    Same goes for about any other power tool that will cut metal.
    Wear proper protection and THINK!!!

Default Morse Metal ***** Saw Blades

Just ordered my MK Morse Metal devi.l blade for my Skil saw. They are on clearance @ Amazon.com for $38.58 with free shipping available!

http://www.amazon.com/MK-Morse-CSM72...0?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Will post back when I get it.

Happy New Year!!!!!
    Last edited by triggerman; 01-01-2007 at 08:28 PM.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."