Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Cutting Equipment

I don't have a cutting torch or a place to store O & A at my house. I have been
    using a circular saw with cutting wheels to cut metal. I don't get much use out
    of the cutting wheels, I would say 1 or 2 cuts per blade. What is the best cutting tool for a residence and small work area that is portable and easy to
    store? Thanks men for any ideas and help!

I started out with just a basic abrasive chop saw. they are relatively small and portable, like a 12in miter saw. They won't do long cuts on plate, but will handle most angles, channel and so forth. You can pick one up at most any hardware/home supply store for $100-$300 just depending on what you want to spend. Personally, the two saws I have, i shopped around and found ones that had a cast iron base instead of a stamped sheet metal base. It just gives it a little more ballast and rigidity to the saw, but it is a bit heavier. SSS

Quote Originally Posted by SkidSteerSteve View Post
    I started out with just a basic abrasive chop saw. they are relatively small and portable, like a 12in miter saw. They won't do long cuts on plate, but will handle most angles, channel and so forth. You can pick one up at most any hardware/home supply store for $100-$300 just depending on what you want to spend. Personally, the two saws I have, i shopped around and found ones that had a cast iron base instead of a stamped sheet metal base. It just gives it a little more ballast and rigidity to the saw, but it is a bit heavier. SSS
    Thanks much, I already have a 10" with cast iron base, I'll get some blades.

oh, just to make sure we are on the same page, there is a difference between chop saws and miter boxes. Chop saws are specifically designed for cutting metal. I would stray away from converting a wood miter box to metal service. Chop saws have integral material clamps and full metal shields on the blade that automatically compensate for blade wear. If an abrasive blade were to shatter on a miter box, you don't have as much protection from the shrapnel. SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 12-29-2006 at 09:19 AM.

I agree with Steve here, a wood cutting miter saw should not to be used to cut metal, although some do it anyway. Along with the safety aspects there is all the plastic that wood saws are made of these days, and the motor parts are not as well shielded as metal cutting saws are, so you can let the smoke out and then you have door stop. You might take a look at portasaw's, they are small and handy, and with some models you can attach to a table.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

I have a Milwaulkee cordless portable band saw and a stand that turns it in to a great pipe or angle chop saw
    TJ______________________________________

Handheld sheetmetal nibbler, cut-off disc on a die grinder, 12" hand operated sheetmetal shear, Miller Spectrum 125c plasma cutter. Entire lot will fit in a mid size Rubbermaid tote.

Quote Originally Posted by budbuc View Post
    I don't have a cutting torch or a place to store O & A at my house. I have been
    using a circular saw with cutting wheels to cut metal. I don't get much use out
    of the cutting wheels, I would say 1 or 2 cuts per blade. What is the best cutting tool for a residence and small work area that is portable and easy to
    store? Thanks men for any ideas and help!
    What sizes are you wanting to cut? And what is your budget?
    Different recommendations, depending on what you're wanting to do.

Cool

Check out the blades here....Bob http://www.mkmorse.com/
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Man those demo's are great...I been cutting aluminum like that for years but they rip STEEL channel like it's aluminum! That plasma cutter gets about as much use as my cutting torch these days. Heck I can barely convince a lot of people you can cut aluminum like that, they always go on about turning the blade backwards and that sort of crap ...BTDT.

I just love to go to a job,set out my sawhorses and literally whip out stuff to everyones amazement like a carpenter. I think it's time for that new circular saw and a blade or 2...

aametalmaster that is a great link...thanks a bunch!!