Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: flamed

Talking flamed

i had to post this becuz its really nice, i see alot of questions and things of the such but at the same time, i NEVER see anyone "flame" or make fun of someone else, maybe i dont read enuf of the topics but its really nice being able to read posts or write posts and not be ripped on to high heaven about it, very nice guys

Well, we could always start by pickin' on you.....

No, seriously, I agree with you. After all, not everybody is an expert. Shoot, I learn stuff just about every day on here. After all, no matter what the subject, the first sign that you need to keep learning is when you think you know everything. I'm pretty sure there is something that every member on here could teach everybody else. I don't consider myself to be a professional weldor, but more of a high end hobbiest. Even so, sometimes you need somebody with fresh eyes looking at your problem. The whole forest and tree thing. The only way to bring up the next generation of weldors (or any trade, for that fact) is to teach from your own mistakes.
    Personally, I get really ticked when people try to learn something from somebody and all they want to do is rip at them for not knowing anything (although from time to time, you can tell when someone is getting in over their head and for safety reasons may need to be told straight up that they don't need to be doing something). That's the very reason for trying to learn. Just because you haven't been in such and such field for 20 yrs doesn't mean that you can't learn about it. Some people just haven't had the experience yet. After all, we all had to start somewhere (granted, I struck my first arc in jr high, but there are days you wouldn't know it!) SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 12-30-2006 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkidSteerSteve View Post
    After all, we all had to start somewhere (granted, I struck my first arc in jr high, but there are days you wouldn't know it!) SSS
    We all have days like that. I know I do.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Yeh guys that is one of the things I realy like about this and the motorsports page. I learn everyday and use it as a sourse to gain knowledge. No stupid questions here!

Quote Originally Posted by TIGWelder06 View Post
    i had to post this becuz its really nice, i see alot of questions and things of the such but at the same time, i NEVER see anyone "flame" or make fun of someone else, maybe i dont read enuf of the topics but its really nice being able to read posts or write posts and not be ripped on to high heaven about it, very nice guys
    I think the reason is that as welders we're humbled every day by welding. I know that every time I pick up a stinger and (attempt) to make a weld, push up the hood, chip some slag, and look at what I had just watched happen (under the hood) and think to my self "if I just did this or that it would have been that perfect weld".
    We as welders must know that their is always room for improvement.

The year I tought welding I learned more about welding than I had in the prior 10+ years.
    So ask the strange question and challange us all.

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by TIGWelder06 View Post
    i NEVER see anyone "flame" or make fun of someone else, maybe i dont read enuf of the topics but its really nice being able to read posts or write posts and not be ripped on to high heaven about it, very nice guys
    I find that these boards frequented mostly by older folks are all pretty much like this one. You see boards that are primarily used by younger people and tend to expect that sort of behavior.

Here, most of these regulars are WELL! out of their teens and have outgrown 'flaming' & that sort of thing.

"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

Exclamation In Jest

You're not from California are you?

Smile The more you know

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Yeh guys that is one of the things I realy like about this and the motorsports page. I learn everyday and use it as a sourse to gain knowledge. No stupid questions here!
    My thoughts exactely! Back when I was 22 I knew it all but it's all been down hill since then. A wise old saying goes like this - The more you know means the more you don't know and then you die. Bummer

Default age

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I find that these boards frequented mostly by older folks are all pretty much like this one. You see boards that are primarily used by younger people and tend to expect that sort of behavior.

Here, most of these regulars are WELL! out of their teens and have outgrown 'flaming' & that sort of thing.

I dont think it is exactly the age, I agree with the guy that said we are humbled by welding. I am 19 years old and it amazes me that u can do this sort of thing, and learn new stuff everyday. I look at welds when i started and welds now and they look alot better than when i started. but you guys are real classy, in a class of your own. thanks for all the help

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I agree with you all 100% me picking up my first rod at the young age of 12. I have thanked god for giving me the chance to do something I love. I really cant say age really matters, I learned from everyone at my work something new even if it was jsut a simple thing such as how to use a drill properly or easier ways to position myself welding, I always feel I have accomplished something at the end of the day working ona project or not.

To everyone on this site I say CHEERS to you all giving me your input and information.

Happy New Years I might be late but better late then never
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan