Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Stick Welder For Newbie

Want to learn to stick weld. Going to be for around the farm (no animals yet but have the tractor and many implements) I've read enough to know I can't afford a mig welder big enough for what I want to do. I took welding in my senior yr. in HS '79, don't remember much (don't stand in water when welding ) Will be running it with a generator. First projects will be a small trailer 6X9 or so to put the welder and gen on and as a work table. Then the big project, Power screen for loam, gravel and of course many other things. I don't expect to be welding much over 1/2" and most will probably be 1/4". The screen will be mostly 3 or 4" box with 1/4" wall.

Opinons appreciated,
    David

Best deal for the money IMHO is the Hobart Stickmate LX 235AC/160DC. The Miller version is the same unit with a different color and a bit more money. And not to forget a big welcome to you ...
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Greetings from another Newbie!

I recently picked up a used Thunderbolt XL 235AC/160DC which, I think, is the type that Sundown referred to. I have no regrets whatsoever. All I can say is that it's a much better welder than I am a weldor. It will be a good long time before I've outgrown that machine.

If he is correct that the Hobart is the same machine with a different paint job, I'll enthusiastically second his recommendation.
    Last edited by TomVeatch; 12-27-2006 at 03:29 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

Quote Originally Posted by TomVeatch View Post
    Greetings from another Newbie!

I recently picked up a used Thunderbolt XL 235AC/160DC which, I think, is the type that Sundown referred to. I have no regrets whatsoever. All I can say is that it's a much better welder than I am a weldor. It will be a good long time before I've outgrown that machine.

If he is correct that the Hobart is the same machine with a different paint job, I'll enthusiastically second his recommendation.
    They are the same off the same assembly line, just depends on how much you like blue ... either one is a good choice.
    Last edited by Sundown; 12-27-2006 at 03:55 PM.
    Regards, George

Default Thank you

Thank you Sundown for the Big welcome and thank you both for the information, I will look into that machine. I would like to have a welder/generator but couldn't afford it unless I could sell both of my generators. Semper Fi TomVeatch, I'm an ARMY man myself but have the ut most respect for all you Leather necks

David

Quote Originally Posted by dsgsr View Post
    Thank you Sundown for the Big welcome and thank you both for the information, I will look into that machine. I would like to have a welder/generator but couldn't afford it unless I could sell both of my generators. Semper Fi TomVeatch, I'm an ARMY man myself but have the ut most respect for all you Leather necks

David
    Army huh, well double welcome from a retired USAF guy.
    Regards, George

Well, thank you again Flyboy. I looked at those two machines or the Miller 225and Hobart 235, they are only $1.00 diff. I could'nt find the Miller 235 on their site, is the 225 the same machine?

David

The Stickmate. Make shure you get DC and not just AC. Another one you might want to look at to run on gen power is a Miller Maxstar 150S.

Well, thank you again Flyboy. I looked at those two machines or the Miller 225and Hobart 235, they are only $1.00 diff. I could'nt find the Miller 235 on their site, is the 225 the same machine?

David
    The difference is advertizing I spose, if you will notice the DC duty cycles are the same at 150 @ 20% on 60Hz. You are right in that the suggested retail is only $1 difference, but I think you will find the street cost difference is greater between the two. Ray's point is well taken about being sure to get AC/DC vs. just AC as the cost difference is well worth it IMO. The Maxstar 150S is real nice if you need something portable at 13 lbs, it is DC only (probably wouldn't use the AC side much anyway), runs on 120V or 240V automaticly, will probable cost a few hundred more $'s, but if you plan on running lots of 6010 electrodes I would opt for the Stickmate as long as weight and power consumption is not a problem.
    Regards, George

I could'nt find the Miller 235 on their site, is the 225 the same machine?
    (Oops! ) Yes, it is. I know I said 235/160, but the only thing worse than my typing accuracy is my proofreading. Seems the spell checker doesn't catch numerical goofs.

This is the one I have (225/150 version). Looks like online prices are currently running right around or a little over $500.

I've built a couple of things with it, and am very pleased with it. Clarification - Pleased with the welder, not my welding. Going to take a stick welding class at the local Vo-Tech beginning next month to see if I can turn that chicken poop into something that I might not be ashamed for someone to see .
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS