Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The strange thing is that it was not in the MM175 operators manual to my knowledge, it was however mentioned on the summary page on the Miller website while it was a current model. You need to be aware that the Hobart 175/180/187 models also have wire speed tracking, the difference is that on tapped models it seems to be a help, or at least it is not a problem IMHO. If you go used the only one to stay away from would be the Hobart 180 model as the top two taps produce a somewhat harsh arc, to be fair I have to say that the first two taps can produce a very nice arc. Best is to test out the models you are interested in buying so you can decide for yourself which you like.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Compared to the MM 175, the MM 180 is worth the small extra cost that may exist between the two units. The MM 180 is far better in the areas of arc starts and tuning in a quality metal transfer. The 180 also has a much better top end. I don't just mean the extra 5 amps. The 180 also outputs a higher top end voltage. More top end amperage and voltage translate into more top end power. I guess a simplier way to put this would be to state that the 180 is a better 1/4" unit.

I personally like the HH 187 a little better then the MM 180. Why? Mostly because the 187 wets the weld puddle out a little better. Especially on the top end. The 187 also produces a much lighter level of spatter at the top end too.

In the end, if you go with the MM 180 or the HH 187 you'll end up with a good unit. I definitely don't recommend the MM 175 or HH 180.

A few things I've learned about this crazy hobby we have. Once you buy GOOD welding equipment, you have it for life. Buy cheap cry three times, buy the best and cry once. Why 3 times? You cry when you realize it's inadequate and for a couple of hundred more you could'a had real tools, again when you have to pay again to replace it and the third time when you have to give the junker away to get rid of it.
    If you can afford to buy a MM210, buy it. Once you have a welding shop put together, you'll find uses for it, I promise.
    Ronnie

"Cry once or cry thrice" - Yeah, BTDT in my woodshop.

Seems to be a fairly consistent thread of "bigger is better" in the responses. OK, you guys remind me a lot of a neighbor of mine - awfully free with spending my money - but you've got me looking at the next larger class.

There doesn't seem to be as big a percentage differential between street prices for the MM210 and the Hobart 210 as there is for the smaller machines. Is there any particular reason to consider the Hobart over the Millermatic? Or vice versa?

Now for the important question, which one of you is going to explain this to my wife???
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

Quote Originally Posted by TomVeatch View Post
    "Cry once or cry thrice" - Yeah, BTDT in my woodshop.

Seems to be a fairly consistent thread of "bigger is better" in the responses. OK, you guys remind me a lot of a neighbor of mine - awfully free with spending my money - but you've got me looking at the next larger class.

There doesn't seem to be as big a percentage differential between street prices for the MM210 and the Hobart 210 as there is for the smaller machines. Is there any particular reason to consider the Hobart over the Millermatic? Or vice versa?

Now for the important question, which one of you is going to explain this to my wife???
    The IM210 is a nice machine I think, however the MM210 has a better duty cycle, better wire drive system, better gun, plug and play spoolgun setup, etc ... in other words it's worth the extra money to most who buy in this class.

About telling your wife, my dad told me to never interfear (fear, get it ) ...
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

The Mm 210 is definitely a step above the IM 210. The true competition for the MM 210 would be the Lincoln PM 215.

If there truely would be an issue with the wife over the extra cost of a MM 210. Understand the HH 187 is a very solid 1/4" and thinner unit. The 210 would definitely have the better duty cycle . At the recreational hobbyist level , it takes some serious effort even on 1/4" to make the duty cycle become an issue on a unit like the HH 187. I 've ran a good 15 -20 3" long welds on 1/4", pretty much back to back with a HH 187 and MM 180 , and neither showed signs of duty cycle issues.

Default Pulled the trigger!

Thank you all for your inputs - enlightening, and very much appreciated!

For better or worse, I pulled the trigger on a MM180 from Cyberweld tonight. Thought long and hard about it, but since I'm strictly a hobbiest and farm/home repair type, I simply couldn't justify paying 75% more for a 215 over a 180. If I didn't already have a 225 AC/DC stick welder, or if I was looking for an day in/day out income producer, I'd probably have gone for a 215 or bigger.

Thanks again!

(Anybody out there want a used Campbell-Hausfeld MIG 80? No? I didn't think so!)
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS