Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding Career Fields?

I am a High School Student that recently discovered the thrill of welding. I really enjoy it and I am starting to get pretty good at it. So I am considering going into welding as a career. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some info on the different options I would have and the different areas I should explore.

Thanks, Matt Klug

construction.

production.

custom fab work.

artwork.

dawg

A good field to get into is "non-destructive testing", i.e. testing welds with x-rays, etc. Closely related to the welding trade, without all the smoke and dust . It pays well and it makes a good transition up the career ladder from actual welding yet very hands on and interesting.

are you enrolled in the boces program

Default Boces?

What exactly is the Boces program and how would I get enrolled in the program?

Wruck Guest

www.boilermakers.org check it out

I'm with jet A-1 look into going down the NDT road. Look at eddy current and MPI for an easy starting point. I used to be a PCN qualified NDT tech for an offshore company.Good rates of pay plus the chance to travel.

Ok cool, what is the average salary for a welder? (I realize that it is a wide range but just an estimate.) What steps should I take if I wanted to move towards the custom fabrication area?

contractor Guest

Cool Contractor

Try A high end sign shop, not one that fabs outdoor billboards, too risky for new guy. Find a big one that embosses plastic they will fab up every kind of artsy crafty nightmare you can dream up. They use the three primary metals carbon, aluminium & stainless. Lots of pipe and structural work involved. lots of tig and plasma work, not to mention exposure to most high end metal working equipment, Great place to learn and the big boys in this industry are almost recession proof.

Alright cool, I'll look into that.