Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Welding rig

This wont be the only truck, but it will be the main welding truck. I currently have a working radius of around 75-80 miles from the shop, but I do go out farther to haul used pipe off of wellsites. Fuel mileage is not much of an issue to me (my daily driver only gets 7-8 mpg), but power is a must. Doesn't need to be fancy, I prefer vinyl seats with rubber floormats. Air conditioning isnt a must, but the radio has to work.

Bryce
    BB Farm Supply
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC

Default go cummins

The only disadvantage to the dodge cummins that I can see is it may not be the fastest truck off the line. Other then that it is the best work horse out there no matter the year . There our two kinds of people in the world,those that own a dodge and those that whish they did.

Quote Originally Posted by bbfarm View Post
    ...I know the newer Cummins can't be beat in my opinion, but I dont know about the older ones.
    The new Common Rail Cummins have plenty of problems to go with all that power and new ones are popping up all the time. The older trucks are virtually unstoppable. They have issues sure but they are all known now and can be dealt with. Injector pumps, Lift pumps, steering linkage and weak auto trans are what plague the older Dodge Cummins trucks. If you are going to stick that SA200 in it, try and find a low mileage 12V 1Ton. That or a 7.3 Ford 1Ton. Either brand with a manual and dual rear wheels is a fine work truck.

Hey why do a lot of people insist on spelling Cummins with a 'g'? Cummings?!?
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

From your previous post, it seems to me you'll be putting enough miles, it would be worthwhile to spend a few extra dollars on a good diesel, hurricunning had some good advice. Fuel savings alone will help give you a fast payback on the extra investment. Run the numbers both ways, gas vs. diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricunning View Post
    The new Common Rail Cummins have plenty of problems to go with all that power and new ones are popping up all the time. The older trucks are virtually unstoppable. They have issues sure but they are all known now and can be dealt with. Injector pumps, Lift pumps, steering linkage and weak auto trans are what plague the older Dodge Cummins trucks. If you are going to stick that SA200 in it, try and find a low mileage 12V 1Ton. That or a 7.3 Ford 1Ton. Either brand with a manual and dual rear wheels is a fine work truck.

Hey why do a lot of people insist on spelling Cummins with a 'g'? Cummings?!?
    The SA200 is on the 1978 Chevy, the Dodge is going to have the Trailblazer 302 on it that I just ordered.

Bryce
    BB Farm Supply
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC