Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Post Winstall.exe - helpp!!

Hi everebody
    My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

but...

there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

help??
    Thanks a lot

Try Ad Aware which can be gotten at AdwareAlert.com

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by alisaselez View Post
    Hi everebody
    My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

but...

there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

help??
    Thanks a lot
    Try this site, I think it will help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic22402.html

Actually, I had this same virus a while back and used SmitFraudFix to get ride of it in about 5 minutes.

http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php
    Last edited by MNellis; 12-16-2006 at 11:35 PM.

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I have the same problem with my computer but there has been nothing I can do about it. I tryed to get rid of it you should take it to a computer guy or even phone them
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
    I have the same problem with my computer but there has been nothing I can do about it. I tryed to get rid of it you should take it to a computer guy or even phone them

Did you try the SmitFraudFix link that I posted?

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

my computer is messed I tryed to remove it but it wont complete the download, same with when I run an anti virus?
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
    my computer is messed I tryed to remove it but it wont complete the download, same with when I run an anti virus?
    Try booting your computer in "Safe Mode" then do the download. Then, perform the download and print the instructions before following the instructions.

SPAM, Read the chick's name and the 1st posting....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    SPAM, Read the chick's name and the 1st posting....Bob
    Yea, you're right. The same person posted in about 5 different msg boards that I've visited recently.

I should have caught the name thing as well.

Default Spyware, AV & firewalls

Welding is my hobby, my bread is buttered working in information security.

If your hard disk is erased by a trojan - is the loss equal to or worth less then the free ware you were using to protect your data?

Everyone needs at a minimum of three layers of security on their computer:
    1) a firewall - Zone Alarm offers a great free vesion
    2) Anti-Spyware - Spy Sweeper is by far the best - spybot and adaware
    do NOT cut it - buy Spy Sweper
    3) Anti-Virus - Get McAfee (I used to work with McAfee), or Symantec -
    once again freeware is worth what you pay for it.

Sparkin'