Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member

Default New member

I've enjoyed browsing your site and decided to join! I always enjoyed using and selling Miller products above all others. I love my Trailblazer 301G, just don't find time to use it enough!

Welcome gdad!!

I, too, have a TB301G that wants to be used more often. It was especially saddened recently when I got the Maxstar 150 STH that plugs in almost anywhere!! Great machine, though!

Those Maxstars are very handy! Best of luck with your work in South America. Being a Christian myself, I support the work you are doing there.

Smile another new member

Hi all. I just found this forum yesterday and found the posts to be very informative. I just bought a miller vs 12 suitcase welder. I have oly had a chance to try it out once. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by gdad
    Those Maxstars are very handy! Best of luck with your work in South America. Being a Christian myself, I support the work you are doing there.
    Thank you! Actually, I forgot to change my signature on this forum; we got back two months ago after being there for six. I'm still getting used to it. We'll go back to South America next summer, but don't know which country yet. Lots of expansion going on there STILL. The Maxstar will go with me this time!

Quote Originally Posted by goatwelder
    Hi all. I just found this forum yesterday and found the posts to be very informative. I just bought a miller vs 12 suitcase welder. I have oly had a chance to try it out once. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Did you buy an older one or the new Extreme model? From what power supply are you going to run it? Start a new thread about it at www.millermotorsports.com in the Ask Andy forum and you'll get us plus several more pros who are familiar more with using one.

Default vs 12

I bought it new but it is not an extreme model. I am using it on a Lincoln Ranger 250. I did go to the other forum but got no replies.

Quote Originally Posted by goatwelder
    I just bought a miller vs 12 suitcase welder. I have oly had a chance to try it out once. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Well, I would say that general advice might be difficult without knowing what problems you might be having or expect to have. After all, many of us have voltage-sensing feeders, many of us even have the 12 VS, but the chances of one of us running specifically a 12 VS from a Ranger 250 is remote and some might think they don't qualify to give you general advice.

I guess, just start using it and let us know how it goes. Try it with both the CC output and the CV output, as it seems some machines work their voltage-sensing feeders better from one and sometimes it's different from another guy's machine.

I had a 12VS and it was a super feeder. I sold many of them and know they have been used very successfully on many different machines including the Ranger 250. I have not personally run a 12VS on a Rgr. 250, but I have run an LN-25 (the former Cadillac of voltage sensing feeders) on one quite a bit with no real complaints. I don't think you'll have any "feeder related" complaints no matter what machine you run it on. The power source dictates most of the performance you'll get. A lot depends on what type of welding you're doing. If you're using innershield wires, I think you'll do great with a lot of power sources. If you're trying to short-arc with solid wires, you'll probably be a little more picky on what power source to use. Some machines such as the Bobcat do a terrible job running solid wire, even on CV. Others, like the Trailblazers, Pipe Pro, etc. will rival the best shop machines. My experience has been that your particular red machine will do a pretty nice job with your first-class feeder.
    Last edited by gdad; 12-29-2005 at 07:16 PM.

Default Glad to know I got a good wire feeder.

I have never used a device like this and finding input from an experienced user for this particular model next to impossible. It seems most welders got to have the LM25. Thatís why I got a good deal on the vs12. The shop just couldnít sell it. I was just wondering if there was anything in general to look out for, situations to avoid, or how users felt about their machines, so I appreciate the responses.
    I will mostly be using it with self-shielded wire since I got it for on the road and outdoor use. I have it set up for .045 with drive rollers for flux core. I will also use it with solid and dual shield if conditions permit it. I purchased the rollers for .030 solid wire for light indoor work away from the shop. Iím glad to hear others are happy with their machines.
    I have occasion to hire out to a sign company for welding on large signs. I figured that this would greatly speed up my work since they use stick. Sometimes I use their machine, which just happens to be a Bobcat. Now I will know to bring my truck and ranger. Thatís just the kind of advice I was looking for.
    Thanks