Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I would say that cages would slow them down, even if you use the roller bar method, just tie a chain around the unit and hook it to a truck. This how some people have stolen ATMs.

I would do the cage thing and put a closed ciruit TV camera on the roof, with the recorder deep inside the building. Maybe even a motion sensing light. Even then you may not stop the problem, you may slow them down.

I have seen on TV where copper thieves have walked in during normal hours at a plant and stolen several thousand of dollars of copper. With plant security walking around, TV camera, and locked doors, where there is a will there is a way.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jfsmith View Post
    I would say that cages would slow them down, even if you use the roller bar method, just tie a chain around the unit and hook it to a truck. This how some people have stolen ATMs....
    the most daring I've heard of (I don't know if it is completely true, but it sounded that way) were some ATM thieves that would drive up next to a machine with a track hoe on a trailer. Knock the little building down, dig the machine up, set it on the trailer and drive off. Talk about nerves of "steal" SSS

if you had a track hoe you could make more money digging, but again, its amazing how much work some will do to keep from working for a living.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by triggerman View Post
    Got a call from a guy who owns a food import business. He has two coolers, 35' X 50' and 60' X 60'. Last weekend somebody stole his condensing units off his roof. Then they cut a hole in the roof and stole most of his wiring and copper tubing. I'm giving him a bid on replacing his refrigeration equipment and would like to bid some cages to protect his new stuff.

Does anybody have any experience building cages to protect equipment from thieves?

LMK

Installs the cages around the equipment with several heavy steel bolts that run through the cement that these outside appliances set on.

Put hardsurface with horse shoe borum on it borum has tungstun carbide in it so it will cut in to the pavement so a horse does not slip so easy. It will stop their saw unless they use a chop saw. Then put trip wires in hooked to lights and horns give alot of light and some air horns they to cover noise when they go over the wall!!Fix it up so they will not want to come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AT NO PRICE

Default Wired

Insulate the cages from ground and wire them up to 240 Volts or 480 Volts with appropriate warning signs and disconnect switch where they can't get to it. I'll bet they won't touch it more than once. They'll pick an easier mark next time(if they survive). Maybe just having it LOOK LIKE it's electrified may work with some. Although I have heard of some people stealing ground wires off powerline poles, till they got hold of one that was energized, that's usually where their copper theft career ends, permanently. Can anyone say Crispy Critters?
    An electric fence charger may be all that's needed to deter most theives.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 06-14-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkidSteerSteve View Post
    the most daring I've heard of (I don't know if it is completely true, but it sounded that way) were some ATM thieves that would drive up next to a machine with a track hoe on a trailer. Knock the little building down, dig the machine up, set it on the trailer and drive off. Talk about nerves of "steal" SSS
    I've heard of a similar situation in southern California where a guy used a skid steer to steal atm where there is a will there's a way. you may slow them down but you cant stop them

Default try razor wire to slow them down

if it is a flat roof put razor wire around the inside perimeter, have it insulated off the roof and connect it to an electric fence transformer. May not stop the determined thieves but definitely will slow them down.
    Trailblazer 325 EFI
    Dynasty 200DX
    SVI 300i cvcc
    Mig 4HD & Mig 2E wire feeders
    Ultra-Pulse 300i Pendant
    EAS-IV Electronic Arc Starter and Plumbing Box
    Powermax1000 G3 Series
    AC-225 Arc Welder

Cool

Someone tried to steal an ATM with a chain and a truck from the lobby of a store in Hanoverton Oh a few years ago. Prob is the bumper was pulled from the truck and with chain and license plate still attached they just drove away...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48