Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plasma cutter

Default plasma cutter

I am thinking of buying a plasma cutter, currently still using band saw, grinder and torch. looking to step up any good recomendations? want to cut at least 1/2 inch steel. How good are the ones with built in compressors or should I use my externial compressor? Thanks

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I say go for the plasma cutter, You still have a good set of torches ifneeded, but you will be able to do alot more work and with less time spent on cleaning the metal you cut.
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

I've spent a fair amount of time talking to the sales dude at airgas and he strongly recommended the hypotherm plazma cutters, because that is the only thing hypotherm does. he said to make sure you have a compressor that will put out 60 PSI or better and to make sure you use some sort of air dryer. Hope that helps
    Gotta weld

I have a Thermadyne 75xl plasma cutter and really like it. Get the stand off for the tip no matter which one you buy. It will save you a lot problems will your learn your machine.

Jerry

I bought a Miller Spectrum 375 on a spur of the moment basis. It is a great machine, but I wish I had spent the extra money and bought a 625. The 375 is great, but I wish I had a little more cutting capacity. I'm going to buy a 625 for the shop and put the 375 on the truck with the new Trailblazer 302 when I get it soon.

Bryce
    BB Farm Supply

I have the Thermal Dynamics 38. Absolutely love this machine. IMO it has the most comfortable torch out there.

If your looking to cut .500", make sure you get a machine rated for at least
    .625". It will cost a little more, but less abuse on the machine.

I have the miller 375, which is too small for what you are wanting to do. I haven't had any trouble out of my rig in the four years I've been running it. I would second the issue of having a good compressor to drive it and an extra filter/dryer. I run a two stage / 80 gal compressor (SCFM, um a bunch ) in the shop with a refrigerant based dryer system. Over kill for just a plasma, yes, but I spent too many years being under powered on air and made sure this shop was set up well. Happy hunting! SSS

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by smokingloves View Post
    I've spent a fair amount of time talking to the sales dude at airgas and he strongly recommended the hypotherm plazma cutters, because that is the only thing hypotherm does. he said to make sure you have a compressor that will put out 60 PSI or better and to make sure you use some sort of air dryer. Hope that helps
    We have a hyportherm 1000 at work we get all the parts at praxair
    If you do buy a hyp I'll post all the part #'s for you Not a bad machine I like it.Now having said that at home I have a miller 2050 this also is not a bad machine. If I had to choose well HMMMMMMMMMMMM I dont know.

I just got a Hyperthem 600 yesterday... AMAZING!

of all of the plasma cutters i've used, i liked thermal dynamics and esab. i woln't get one with an internal compressor. they seem to have more problems after alot of use. kind of like the compressor ain't big enough or tough enough or something. persnally i like a victor torch. call me old fashoned.