Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boots

Hybrid View

Default Boots

Hey guys,

What's the most popular boots used around your different shops? I am a boot fanatic. I wear steel-toed, 8 inch, water proof, leathers almost exclusively (work, at home, in the yard, to church, you name it). I guess I'm just posting this out of curiosity to see what is the most popular style and brand out in general use. Currently I wear a brand called Danners. VERY comfortable, but a little expensive. SSS

I like to wear Red Wings. They are very cofortable and very durable. They are also very expensive. (You get what you pay for)

Only 2 places were I cannot wear my RED WINGS.

In bed, and the shower.

I'm a motorcyclist who rides whenever he can, even now in December the bikes are fueled and ready to ride. Nothing more exhilerating than a sub-freezing temp ride, properly dressed of course.

In any case Red Wings has been earning my business for years. Expensive? Not really, oh sure the initial cash outlay may be higher than most but the TCO " Total Cost of Ownership " is less in my opinion.

They take care of you before, during and more importantly AFTER the sale!

My vote is for Red Wings!

The one thing I wish my Red Wings Had was insulation for the winter. They are so cold. I took my pair from my dad which he bought about 6 to 7 years ago and they just now showing signs of wear.

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I'm not to sure what brand mine are but I got them at marks work wear house, There not that bad I like them very much but I want a better pair there a cheapy and what the guys at work say more dangerous then safe. I find the steel toe notgo back far enough liek the res tof them do. Thats why they said there a death trap
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

I like justin boots light weight and soft sole.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
    Only 2 places were I cannot wear my RED WINGS.

IN BED, and the shower.

I'm a motorcyclist who rides whenever he can, even now in December the bikes are fueled and ready to ride. Nothing more exhilerating than a sub-freezing temp ride, properly dressed of course.

In any case Red Wings has been earning my business for years. Expensive? Not really, oh sure the initial cash outlay may be higher than most but the TCO " Total Cost of Ownership " is less in my opinion.

They take care of you before, during and more importantly AFTER the sale!

My vote is for Red Wings!
    WELL, there is that Paul Newman movie where he is wearing his boots to bed with a woman. She ask him why he has the boots on , he said TRACTION!!

Default Another

Red Wing for me,

A guy I work with always buys his Red Wings 2 pair at a time and alternates them daily. He claims they last longer if you let them dry out for 30+ hours. Increasing on that "TCO Total Cost of Ownership " and keeping his feet healthier.

Example: 1 pair boot last 5 years, then 2 pair last 10 years, If you alternate them daily and let them dry out 2 pair will last 13 years.

Does anyone else do this?

Bill
    Miller 301 G w/suitcase feeder
    Millermatic 251
    Miller spoolmatic 30

Lincoln Ranger8+Diesel, Lincoln SAE 400 amp
    Lincoln SP-125, Lincoln SW 175, Lincoln Pro Cut 55

Smith O/A, Edwards 75 ton ironworker,
    Grob Brothers Band saw, Hougen magnetic drill

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Jef, thanks for that. I want a pair but right now I'm a little short on money I got myself a new BWE inferno yesterday and that took alot of my money away you can say it might have burned a hole in my pocket ha ha (lame I know)

Quote Originally Posted by gunruner View Post
    ...Example: 1 pair boot last 5 years, then 2 pair last 10 years, If you alternate them daily and let them dry out 2 pair will last 13 years. Does anyone else do this?..
    I don't do this with my work boots, though I've thought about it. I do know it to be true, as I learned this in the Navy. I always had two pair of daily polished oxfords that I rotated in the same manner.

I wear Red Wings, too. I've had CATs, also, and they were pretty decent, but these Red Wings are awesome. I often wear them on the weekends after a good polish job.