Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default TIG weld pictures.

OK Bob,
    Here are a few I did today, 12 ga.CRS bracket on same just a little filler on the ends.
    I would like to hear what you guys think of them.
    Dynasty 200 dx. with coolmate 3
    240 volt hookup
    100amps max., no pulse set, foot control
    DCEN
    20 cfm argon
    1.5% Lanthanated
    I think thats everything.
    sstec
    Attached Images Attached Images

is it the pic's, it looks a lil like you are getting a slight crater efect at the end. usualy ramping off slowly and adding 1 last dab with the filler will cure that. other than that it looked prity good to me. maybe a lil hot.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

sstec,

Nice Job! You are starting to get a nice consistent bead. If you don't mind the cut back in the bracket, it looks like a great weld. With a homogeneous weld you always get some cut back of the metal. Personally, I'd have used 1/16th filler all the way around with no cut back into the bracket.

James hit it on the crater at the end of your runs. Just ease back on the pedal and touch in a little more filler.

Thanks for posting your pictures! You've really got a great setup. I waited a year before getting the Coolmate 3. What a difference it makes! I was welding up my welder cart as I got it and I was really heating up the torch with the aluminum and after I got the cooler, heat from the torch was never a problem, now the heat from the aluminum - if you happened to set you arm in the wrong place . . . . .
    Bob Sigmon
    A/O Setup with Meco Midget
    Miller Big Window Elite
    Quincy QT-5HD

Default Heat

Bob,
    After reading a lot of your post about your set up, I decided to go with the coolmate too. My thoughts were more along the line of the heat where I live 113 yesterday.
    I did use very little 1/16" filler on the ends to avoid the big crator.
    But at this point was just trying to get the torch motion right and not touch the weld with my tungsten. Adding filler will come in time.
    I did get all 10 done with out having to regrind my tungsten. That was a first...
    Heat was high, I think I can back it down some as well.

Just a huge difference between this and my old 120 volt mig.
    Thanks for the input and feed back.

Fun4now,
    Nice freehand plasma cutting! ! ! !
    That takes a steady hand.

sstec

Nice freehand plasma cutting! ! ! !

thanks , but i would realy rather do it your way just no $$$$$$
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Does cutting back, basically mean its melting the bracket to much ? Or how ever you want to explain it.

Does cutting back, basically mean its melting the bracket to much
    yep. again less heat more filler and you will be sweet
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Cutting back is another way to say undercut. For that spot right next to the bend (where the cutback occurs) you may do well to start your weld at that edge by adding a drop of filler just high enough that it doesn't touch the lower plate. This will add some thickeness to prevent from melting away the thin edge.
    Do that first before you get a lot of heat built up in the part.
    Then move the arc down some and put in a lot more heat to tie into the lower plate so you can turn and start the bead.
    As you get the bead moving, slowly let off the pedal and speed up your travel rate as heat builds up in the part. Then as you reach the corner, you will find that the heat seems to reflect off that edge and you will need to rapidly reduce the heat input before that last drop of filler turns into an undercut.
    In order to have straight beads and evenly spaced drops of filler, think non-linear travel rates and heat inputs.

By the way, those are very nice looking welds you have pictured there.