Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anybody using a cordless grinder?

Hey fellas,

I've seen DeWalt's cordless 18V grinder a lot lately and am considering buying one. I keep two grinders on hand (one with a brush and one with a grinder wheel) and there seems to be plenty of times I need one that the cordless thing would work great.

What do y'all think?
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I might be a newbie, but in all honistly I dont agree with cordless powertools. I think if its not on a cord that its more likely to break. The cord might be a tick off but hey with a cord your garenteed power aslong as a fuse doesn't blow ( my teacher told me that because I was really asking the same question). But im sure it would work just fine. I was actualyl thinking it would work better then a cord grinder, Mind you the charging would be a big tick off!
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

I havent used one, but I do always have a couple of grinders laying around to trip over, I actually havent even seen the cordless versions yet. If you try one let us know how they work out.

I have had a chance to use one but I'm considering getting one. I have the advantage of having a dozen 18v Dewalt batteries in my garage so if a battery dies I just swap it for a good one.

I have an entire stable of DeWalt cordless tools, drill, saws ( circ and recip ) that get used an awful lot. I've done well with batteries as well, but I do make sure they all get used evenly.

I wouldn't mind a cordless grinder as I'm sure having one would be handy. Often times I need to run outside and cut up some lumber with a quick cut and who wants to run a cord for a 3 minute job. Same for the drill, they are handy for sure.

A grinder would be like the saw, heavy usage on the battery, but if ya get a kit woth 2 and cycle them off you should be ok. I know guys who frame up custom houses and use nothig but cordless tools. They have a small generator just to charge batteries. For them it is a necessity as many jobsites have no commerical power.

Default Thanks guys

I think I will get one and see. They're $59 plus shipping brand new w/o a battery. Batteries I've got. Probably 8 or 9. I keep them charged on the truck and when one dies: a quick trip to Grainger and I'm back up to strength. I do A LOT of work where cords are a big pain. I'm also wondering whether there will be a difference in how long cutting blades last. I'll be letting you know.

Thanks
    Triggerman

CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun

A couple of years ago I bought a Dewalt 5 piece 18 volt fat boy kit. It included the 1/2" hammer drill, 6 1/2" circular saw, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, and of course a flashlight. I used all the tools every day except for the flashlight and jigsaw. I bought the kit exclusively for use in fabricating aluminum at work. I built tanker trailers from the bottom up,(10,000 gallons) and the tools were used every day for well over a year. Drilling 6061 T6, 1/2" thick, one battery pack would last in the drill for 40 1/4" pilot holes, 40 1/4" - 1/2" step drill holes, (sizing them up) and about 10 or so uses reaming the 1/2" holes to 11/16" with a taper reamer. I was impressed. The drill also ran hole saws up to 4" cutting through 3/8" 6061. I used the circular saw for cutting plate as well as grooving out weld joints and stop starts, and it performed flawlessly using a non-ferrous metal 40 tooth blade. The biggest advantage was not having to crawl through the manholes in the tanks with power cords or air lines. I had to replace one of the battery packs after 16 months, but never had any problems with the tools. I support the use of cordless tools in the metal working industry, however I don't have experience using cordless grinders.

Default cordless grinder

the cordless grinder is actually ment to be a cut off tool. If you use it as grinder the batteries last about an hour. But if you use it with a cut offf wheel or a wire wheel I found that the batteries last about 6-7 hours.

Default Great info.....

Thanks Mitch.
    Triggerman

CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun

I'd go for it. Cordless power tools are a great convenience, and DeWalt is a great brand.

Bryce
    BB Farm Supply