Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chop Saw For Cutting Tubing?

I have seen numerous chop saws, metal saws, etc for cutting tubing .120 DOM mostly. What do you have experience with? Anyone using one particular brand and blade you can recommend? What about a cold saw? Is that what they call them>? I imagine they are big bucks too?

A cold saw is great. They are a bit more money but most can cut with or without coolant depending on blade, save space, and cut faster and straight.
    I've used a hogh speed chop saw for years before getting a good miter band saw. The chop saw is noisy, dusty and throws sparks everywhere. It now lives under my work bench only to see daylight if I need to do a job outside.
    Pricewise, it is the cheapest way to go.
    If you want a good miter, horizontal, vertical bandsaw, check out the Ellis.
    www.ellissaw.com
    I used a 1100 for a few years before just stepping up to a 1600 model. I like the no coolant needed and the easy set up for miter cutting. Pull a pin, add a plate and you are vertical cutting. It's even made in the USA.

Good luck

Andy

there is also a fair amount of cleanup needed after the chop saw and you will not get an acurate cut,because the blade will flex out as it cuts. it is close enough a 4 1/2" grinder with a sanding disk will get you there. the chop saws that use the steel blades are better but still loud and throwing chips of steel every where. the band saw will be the slower of the 3 but it will be acurate with lil to no cleanup needed and most will let you walk away wile it finishes the cut without you. so you could be getting the next pice ready wile the first is cutting. the true cold saw is in the big $$$$$ but verry nice
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I picked up a reconditioned DeWalt Multicutter off Epay a few months ago for $300 ish. It has just about replaced my chopsaw altogether. I still have to watch the cut accuracy, but it is way better than the chopsaw. Still a good bit of cleanup, but that comes with the territory. Blades were pricey as well, but I found some for half price from the same Epay store. Since they are resharpenable, I'm set for blades now unless I break one. IMO, this saw will cut faster than a chopsaw and seems to be less noisy than my chopsaw....but not by much. Considerably less to touch up as regards burrs as well.

Here is what it'll do on some 1 1/4 sch 40 pipe and fishmouths. There was no retouching the cuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

thats a prity nice job on the fit up for no retuching. i realy wanted to get 1 of thouse dewalt steel bladed cuters but just didnt have the $$$ and as my cheepo is still working fine i have no excuse to upgrade now if it brakes i could be shooping again but as the cheepo came with an extra set of brushes it looks like it will keep going for quite a wile, hard to complain about that even if ya do want a new tool.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I use a DW871 chop saw, It is an abrasive saw but works flawlessly for me. I would like the multi-cutter but lack of cash, holds me back.

Peace,

Chopper,
    I have a Ridged 14" abrasive chop saw and a Turn Pro 7X12 Horz/Vert bandsaw (Model 137-3190 from Enco) and I gotta tell ya the Bandsaw may cost more but it's a much better way to cut steel. If the funds are there I would go with a good bandsaw.
    Good luck,
    Bulldog
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs
    Joker BWE
    Star & stripe BWE Digital
    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
    CUMMINS BABY

If you want a good miter, horizontal, vertical bandsaw, check out the Ellis.
    www.ellissaw.com
    I used a 1100 for a few years before just stepping up to a 1600 model. I like the no coolant needed and the easy set up for miter cutting. Pull a pin, add a plate and you are vertical cutting. It's even made in the USA.
    Andy, We've had a 1600 at work for 3+ years now, and it is most definitely a excellent bandsaw. Now, if i could just convince the wife that I need one here at home.

Andy/Dan
    On the Ellis saw does the blade wear out fast? I have a Johnson at one of our plants and the guys are always putting blades on the thing. I was thinking about putting a coolant system on it. My saw that I have at my home shop has a coolant system and the blades last alot longer. I cut alot of hard heat treated steel at the home shop as well. I use BI Metal blades on both.
    Thanks, Bulldog
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs
    Joker BWE
    Star & stripe BWE Digital
    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
    CUMMINS BABY

My blades last a long time. If you "break" the new blade in you will be fine. Break it in with a piece of solid round stock cutting fairly slow. I use a 3" hunk for my blades. Just cut about 3/8" off and that will set the blade. I use the Lenox blades and have had great luck.

Dan,
    Tell the wife the band saw will cut household items as well. Like that new mailbox she's been after you about or the flag pole she wants so she can display one of those nice MILLER flags.

A-