Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Lens Shade for plasma cutting?

I have a 375 miller plasma. I sometimes just use clear safety glasses, which is not good I'm sure. I have some #5 shade safety glasses, but those are too dark most of the time so I rarely use them. I just got some #2 shade safety glasses that are supposed to block 99% UVA and B, is #2 sufficient for plasma cutting?
    Justin Starkey
    Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
    Miller 210 MIG
    Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
    VMP Tuning.com

This is one of those debates that has no perfect answer.

The "textbook" answer is usually a #5 lense. The reality is that, if you are cutting correctly, you see very little of the arc because it is shielded by the metal you are cutting. If you are cutting heavier metal or awkward shapes, where more of the arc is exposed, you will want that #5 lense.

For most lighter work on clean sheets, the #2's you have will probably be fine. You will find that quite a few people (including me, occasionally) run plasma cutters with only safety glasses (UV protected clear or light tint) with no ill effect.

My preferred lense is to use my Optrel Satellite set to "grinding" mode, which is something between 2 and 5. Also, the hood or other face shield comes in handy if you rush the cut a bit or hiccup at the wrong time and get a face full of sparks.

JD

i have run mine with my miller BWE welding hood not turned on witch is a shade 3 i think but the hood has all the safty built in as i have forgotten to turn it on when welding with no ill efects. other than that i use the standerd #5 shade face shield to do my fancy cuts. i use a halegen light to make it easyer to see what i am cutting as mentioned above there is verry little arc to light up the work.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I tryed the new #2 glasses today and they seemed to let in a lot of light, I think its a lot different with a helmet on shade 2 because the lens area if much smaller. I wish I had a helmet with a grind mode.
    Justin Starkey
    Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
    Miller 210 MIG
    Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
    VMP Tuning.com

keep in mind if using just glasses if it spits back you will not like hot steel in the face so atleast where a face shield with the glasses.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Yeah, I, too, wear my auto Jackson with it turned off. So I get the full UV and splatter protection, with very little tint for visibility because, as mentioned, the arc doesn't light up much of the top of your work.

I am pretty sure the OSHA standard is minimum shade 5 for plasma and Oxy/Fuel cutting. When I am cutting with plasma or torch, I use my Hornell Speedglass helmet for full face protection with the lens turned off. This gives you the shade 5 that you need in the off state.

$.02

Default Fixed shade hood.

I just use my old fixed shade hood with a #7 glass without a problem! Did not think a shade 5 would be to dark. Maybe the rating of the plasma cutter's output has something to do with the shade choice?

I use glasses too, usually dark saftey glasses.

my welding place has #5 shade safty glasses. i tryed them but didnt like not having the face protection of the full shield and putting the clear face shield over the glasses was just a paine kinda.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES