Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default .035 SS + SyncroWave200

Ok so I tried to weld 035 SS plates together today and it looks terrible between the burn through and poor penetration I did see a little weld that looked good but the back side of the weld looked like crap.
    That beeing said what would you guys set a syncrowave 200 at to get good welds and how much tungsten needs ti stick out of the cup?
    I have the red tungsten sharpened with a flat point.
    tried using about 20 amps on AC PPS at 3.

Help please

I'd switch from AC to DCEN (DC, Electrode Negative).
    Use a 1/16" thoriated (red end) tungsten sharpened to
    a fine point. Hope you have a foot pedal. Stickout from
    the cup around 3/8". Run 100% argon at 20 CFH. I'd set
    the machine to 50 A, so you can adjust down from there
    with the foot pedal once you get your puddle established.
    Keep the tip of the electrode about 1/4" from the workpiece.

Disclaimer: I've only got a couple of hours GTAW (TIG)
    welding under my belt.

You'll also need to either back-purge the joint or keep the penetration to a minimum to prevent the oxidation on the back side of the weld (the black crystal looking stuff).

Burning through and lack of penetration are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Like the man said - it's a DC process. You had the machine set wrong in a big way.

Filler shouldn't be needed, or at least very little. Try using some mig wire of appropriate composition in .030 if you need it. Just run the bead fast and it should fuse nicely after getting the puddle formed.

Stainless is a little trickier than mild steel, but they weld very similar. Thermal expansion can be a pain keeping things square and straight. Start with perfect fitting joints and tack them every couple inches or so and it should be easily managed.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Thanks for the replys I will give it a try tomorow.

Thanks again