Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Iron man View Post
    I have been welding for about 15 years and I have been doing a little blacksmithing for about 6 years. I have a small business on the side, just starting dont have alot of customers yet. But my question is How much should I charge for my work? do you guys charge by the hour or by the job
    and if by the hour what is a fair price? I want to be paid for what the work is worth but on the otherhand I dont wont somebody to feel ripped off and never come back. Thanks for any response.
    I do alot of work on the side but its a little different over here to US theres not as many guys with welding rigs here
    most of the time its for the same customers using there gear so its $30hr cash or $45hr on the books
    one customer how is a pain the azse rings at all hours I do the work at home using my gear its welding cracks in a water truck they don't want to fix it the right way just patch it and its always on Sunday so I charge them a basic charge of $60hr+ they drop the truck and come back later $60hr+ covers my power rods and beer after all its on a sunday and they wouldn't get done other wise their happy with that price and so is my beer frig

I charge $50 an hour during the week and $75 on weekends, but I only do it part time. It started out as a hobby which turned into a business. I have more work on weekends than weekdays. People are strange like that but I ain't complaining.
    Millermatic 251
    Bobcat 225
    Lincoln 305G
    Lincoln 135
    Hypertherm

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I think your best bet is between $40-$55 during the week and depending on the job for the weekend charge $70 on Saturday and maybe and $75 Sunday? thats just my thought though because bairly anyone is open on a Sunday so if they need the work done they will pay you the big bucks!
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Darmik.....I see that you also see what I see! Aluminum will make you the best money.
    Youngwelder...notice that Darmik points out how much you charge depends on what the material is.
    I like to stick with purely aluminum so I don't polute my thinking or technique. I know steel plenty well and have many many years of it but then I learned that the average guy is scared to death of it and if you work hard enuff at it there comes a time when the only person they can imagine repairing it is you!!
    Then if you want you can pick and choose your jobs because once again the average guy seems to think just because you can weld their aluminum whatever then you MUST be qualified to weld anything else out there! This is completely BS!!! But then momma didn't didn't raise a compete idiot, so I will do some jobs if I need to or find them challenging enuff and I can still charge enuff to pay the bills. I will say tho tiggin' aluminum never gets boring to me no matter what the type, thickness, position, or location....I just like some jobs better than others. BTW..for my part repairing aluminum is better than fabbing...you do it, they pay you, you go to the bank. Yer happy, they are happy and tell everybody how much you saved them and once you make that word of mouth happen and KEEP it happening you could move to the jungle and they prolly would send out an expedition of crap out for you to fix.
    FWIW I also ALWAYS give the illusion of just being litterally swamped with work by having a voicemail message telling them to leave me a detailed message about the job and as soon as I can take a break from welding I will check my messages and get back to them. I preps them in advance that I am in control and it sorta WEEDS out all the bigfeeling self important *******s(like me) that still try to jew everybody down in price and give them a break on their toy whatever that is out of any normal persons price league(not like me). Remember I work on marine primarily so you would have to adjust this line of thinking somewhat depending on your clientel. It also gets me out of welding stupid stuff like welding screen doors while on the house...yep I've had to turn that kind'a crap down and usually just don't call those guys back! That cell phone can be a great thing cause there is no reason for you to miss a job when you have one but you gotta remember when yer yackin' you ain't usually welding.
    Some things just plain out are not worth the breath it takes to dicuss...IMO

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Darmik.....I see that you also see what I see! Aluminum will make you the best money.
    Youngwelder...notice that Darmik points out how much you charge depends on what the material is.
    I like to stick with purely aluminum so I don't polute my thinking or technique. I know steel plenty well and have many many years of it but then I learned that the average guy is scared to death of it and if you work hard enuff at it there comes a time when the only person they can imagine repairing it is you!!
    Then if you want you can pick and choose your jobs because once again the average guy seems to think just because you can weld their aluminum whatever then you MUST be qualified to weld anything else out there! This is completely BS!!! But then momma didn't didn't raise a compete idiot, so I will do some jobs if I need to or find them challenging enuff and I can still charge enuff to pay the bills. I will say tho tiggin' aluminum never gets boring to me no matter what the type, thickness, position, or location....I just like some jobs better than others. BTW..for my part repairing aluminum is better than fabbing...you do it, they pay you, you go to the bank. Yer happy, they are happy and tell everybody how much you saved them and once you make that word of mouth happen and KEEP it happening you could move to the jungle and they prolly would send out an expedition of crap out for you to fix.
    FWIW I also ALWAYS give the illusion of just being litterally swamped with work by having a voicemail message telling them to leave me a detailed message about the job and as soon as I can take a break from welding I will check my messages and get back to them. I preps them in advance that I am in control and it sorta WEEDS out all the bigfeeling self important *******s(like me) that still try to jew everybody down in price and give them a break on their toy whatever that is out of any normal persons price league(not like me). Remember I work on marine primarily so you would have to adjust this line of thinking somewhat depending on your clientel. It also gets me out of welding stupid stuff like welding screen doors while on the house...yep I've had to turn that kind'a crap down and usually just don't call those guys back! That cell phone can be a great thing cause there is no reason for you to miss a job when you have one but you gotta remember when yer yackin' you ain't usually welding.
    Some things just plain out are not worth the breath it takes to dicuss...IMO

You hit it right on the head
    there is nothing and I do mean NOTHING that I could add to this.
    my forte is commerical truck they sure love there aluminum checker plate

Fusionking, I have to say that I was more then a little impressed with that first post you did on this subject ! Everyone on this forum that owns a business should read that twice and really think about what you said, read it and interpret in a way that they can apply it to themselves and their business. I learned something that I already knew, but have been failing to practice lately, charge in way that you are paid what you are worth and can take the time to do the job right. I often will quote a job on the tight end so that I get it, then find that I am not doing my best work because I am pushing to make my fair hourly rate. The best machinists (and welders) are the one who take the time to do it right, and time is money, pretty simple if you think about it, I just fail to do so on some jobs. I also agree with taking the jobs that are interesting and avoiding the jobs that are not (if you can afford to do that), in Ironmans case, if he is staring up a business he may have to take on the less desirable jobs in the beginning ? I never take on a job that is like your screen door scenario, I tell the people to go buy a new one and not spend their money on the repair. I rarely ever make things that people can go buy, like ladder racks and trailer hitch’s, Its not worth my time unless they are willing to spend twice what the store sells them for, which means that they better want something extra heavy duty or built different.
    I really enjoyed your post, the only thing I would add is what has already been said more then once, you can only charge what the market in you are warrants, or you wont make any money, but we all know that already.