Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Talking Day 3

Today was the best day ever! Today as soon as I got there they threw a grinder at me to grind big steel beams. As I did that and completed it I jsut helped move it andhold things for them when they welded it. But near the end part of the hour one of the guys said Ryan get over here graba helmet. So I did as the man asked me to and he could only let me tack the things in place. But it has been a while but I caught on to the stick welding in like two tries. So I tacked some stuff together and that was the end of the hour and a half But after that we just talked and one of the guys said holy **** you remind me of that ****er from the Simpons that is with Nelson that helps beat up Bart witht he touqe so he told me my Homework was to get his name. I rememberd his name was Jimbo so thats my new nickname aroudn the shop. We had a very good laugh over that.
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Default A bit of advice

I am always anxious about offering advice, but I will try here.

What I have for you has nothing to do directly with welding, but with life in general. It sounds like you have the start of a good relationship between the other guys at the shop and yourself. That is a good thing. Jobs and projects come and go; but, it is the relationship you have with your co-workers and supervisors that will make or break your situation. If welding is what you want to do, make the most of this first chance. It is the only one you'll have. Because you are the new guy, they will tell you to do things you don't want to do. Do it anyway and with the same professionalism as a preferred task. Make the most of this opportunity and you will remember it with a smile for the rest of your life.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Default Day4

Today I found was as good or even better then any of the other days. I got to paint cut with this machine that was pressurized and looked like the mid evil things they use to cut peoples heads off with. So I cut a bunch of pieces. Nearing the end they got me to grind some more witch I didnt mind at all, So not a that bad of a day if I say so myself. Triggerman I am following what youy are saying to me it works very well and makes me look like I want to work too thank you for youyr advice.

Today during one of our classes we had Grant one of the most importent people at holland College come talk to us. My teacher told him about me so he had a little chat of our own off to the side of class. I got his phone number he would like me to call him after I put my application in and I can get another tour at the welding school for HC so that really is a good thing to me, I have both peoplethe teacher for the course and the big cheese of HC to talk to so Lifes pretty good

Ryan

glad to see all is going good, and you see the wisdome in triggerman's post.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Youngwelder,

If you are doing any amount of grinding or hammering, you should consider getting some anit-vibration gloves / impact gloves.
    I worked hard at grinding and buffing for the first ten years of the trade, and fell into the 'trap' of numb hands and arms once in a while... After a few years I developed tendonitis and carpal tunnel in my forearms and wrists, as a direct result from continued high frequency vibration. Now, as a TIG welder, I have troubles with prolonged welding because my hands and arms get over fatigued. Use any personal protetive equipment (PPE) that is available to you... It pays off in the long run.

i'll 2nd that, it may seem silly when you are yung and you think you are invincable, but it will catch up to you. take advantage of the tecknology any you will get to be a healthy active 100 year old insted of a sore 70 year old.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default welcome little scab

i want to welcome you to the wonderfull world of welding. we work hard and have fun doin' it. i'm happy to see a youngster interested in the craft.
    my words of advise are probably what you alredy know, welders are like a clan, if you get a bad rep, you won't get work. learn all you can from the old hands, and don't get ****y too soon. (you will get ****y) there is always something new to learn so always be open for advise and criticism. don't just learn a process or a technique, perfect it the best you can. good welds come from good fit ups. that's not a saying that's a fact. lastly, there are no such things as "plate streachers" or "box of bevels" ect.
    good luck

recruit, we need the hands before they outsource our jobs

I will now look into the gloves you have mentioned. I grind a bit like probly 5 minutes straight at the most but its better to be safe then sorry! Also could me being tired when I come home be, because I looked into a flash (it was unintentional someoen was talking to me and a guy started to weld.)?

Ryan

best to avoid looking at the flash as i'm shore you know , but just one quick flash wont kill ya but might make your eyes a lil sore if the amps were high enough and you looked long enough but it should go away soon.

wile you only grind a little bit now the gloves may not seem to important but its realy about teaching your self to use them now as you are starting out. start out with good habbits that way it will becom routeen to use them later on in your life when you do more grinding for longer days. befor long you will just automaticly put them on without thinking about it.

glad to here all is still going well, did you work out the helmit problem??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Wink

I have a lot of cheapos (tools) from Harbor Freight and Northen Tools Just don`t buy Cheap Hoods,Welding machines EXPENSE STUFF I buy Cheapo grinders,wrenchs,screwdrewers,ETC.

BEST OF LUCK , Wireburner
    Last edited by wireburner; 12-02-2006 at 04:28 PM.