Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding AR400 Steel

Have any of you guys welded AR400 steel? I'm looking for general procedure, things like preheat, interpass temps, and so forth. ANy help is greatly appreciated!
    Chris

Use 7018, light preheat, slow cool don't restrict weldment' don't get too hot

When rebuilding buckets I usually use AR-235 because you dont have to preheat, However I bought AR-235 for one of my jobs, it was a drop.
    I'm sure I got a pc of AR-400 because it cracked, so I gouged it out preheated and rewelded it and had no problem after preheat.
    I used ER-70-S6 to weld it.
    I did not use a heat stick so I dont know how hot I heated it, if I were to guess I would say between 300-500 degrees.
    It didd'nt take alot of time for it to crack after we were done welding it, one long 36" crack.

cris
    I USE INNERSHIELD NR-212/.068DIA
    RUNNING MY WIREFEEDER DCEN/CV
    WEARBARS I DONT PREHEAT
    FRONTCUTTERS/SHANKS/BUCKET LIPS 200/300F.PREHEAT
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Hey guys,
    I've had to build alot of aggergate discharge shoots over the last 20 or so years and most of them were built from either AR 400 or AR 500. I remember when I built the first one it toe nailed like a son of a gun. Man was I ever embarrassed. I had an old timer come up to me and say if your lucky one of the redimix trucks may hit it and tear it off so no one will see that sh*^ job you did. Well me and that old timer got to be friends and he told me if I would have preheated the plate some it would not have cracked as much... He was right. The next time that I built one he helped me and the shoot came out great. I asked him how hot to make it he just said if you can touch it and it doesn't hurt like **** it isn't hot enough. I would guess a least 500deg.f. Now a days we'll just tack it all up into position and hit it with a rosebud and weld away. (7018 1/8" for 1/2" plate)
    Good Luck,
    Bulldog