Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Tailgate Latch Design

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate a latch for a custom tailgate on my 1979 Chevy. I'm fixing to start and would like to know about some different styles. The ones I have built in the past have a bolt welded to the gate. This bolt goes through the truck above the tailgate bumper and I weld a nut to the end of a piece of pipe. This holds it good, but it is slow getting the tailgate down. Any help is appreciated.

Bryce
    BB Farm Supply

First of all, it's great to hear (ok, read) someone else use the term "fixin to" I really think that is just an Okie thing.

The only custom latching that I can think of is what some of the guys use for the gates that are notched for GN/5th wheel hitches. they have a spring loaded pin on each side that snaps back into the factory slot. Is this for a restoration type custom or a functional, tow-me-out-by-my-tailgate kind of custom?

SSS

I've used seat belt buckles, weld the button side in the box, and the striker on the gate, works great for the clean custom ones i've done.

look at www.mcmaster.com , they have more gadgets and gizmos to get your wheels turning. A half hour on that site and you will think of all kinds of new projects you can start. I order from them and have had nothing but great experiances. order by noon on monday see it tuesday afternoon sometimes.

not shore if this is what you are going for but i just whiped this up for my POW*MIA tail gate. i have got some seperate pics some where i can find if it might help, just let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES