Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Arc flash Eye protection when welding.......

I just wanted to share an experience of mine and stress to all the young weldors out there,just how important it is to take care of your eyes when you are young and how much damage arc flash can cause.I have been welding since my very early teens and took my eyes for granted,until I started having a lot of trouble at around 45 years old.The tack and turn your head method and extra light lense shades may not show any adverse effects when you are young,but when you get older,it could sneek up and bite you in the a$$.I nearly went blind for a while at around 45 years old and had to have 2 cataract surgerys with interopular lense implants.I recently lost most of the sight in my left eye again and had to have it redone about 2 weeks ago.I asked the ophthalmologist why I have had so much trouble with my eyes at such a young age,because I always associated cataracts with old people and he attributed it to my life long of welding,as quite possibly being a contributing factor,as well as some other health issues that I have.He also said that he has seen severe cataracts in weldors as young as 40 years old.He also added that,a lot of young weldors just do'nt realize the problems that tacking with out a hood and other careless exposure to arc flash can cause down the road.It seems like all the dumb things that we do in our lives,all seem to sneek up and bite us in the a$$ when we start pushing 50 or 60 years old.Mine is a severe case and all of us will not have these same problems,but I want everyone to be aware that it can happen....So the moral of the story is,Take care of your eyes when you are young,they are a very precious gift..........You do'nt know how helpless I felt,when at 45,I could no longer see well enough to drive,read or even work in my shop.Right now,Knock on wood,I am seeing distance just fine,but will only be able to read with the use of strong reading glasses for the rest of my life.Welding is getting a bit interesting too.

tooldude56

Tooldude:
    Thank you for posting of your vision concerns. I feel your pain, my friend, I am 37 and have been legally blind since I was very young, 10 or 12 I think. I work in printing and use my eyes every day and with out glasses I can't see the floor or 12" in front of me for that matter. My vision is 20/900 in my good eye and about 20/1000 in the other. Glasses and contacts help me but others are not so lucky, 20 years ago they couldn't have helped you, but modern medical treatment is a miracle. I pray you see the beautiful world around you all your days and slow down to watch a sunset and appreciate the world in front of you, life is short.

Peace,

Thumbs up

Isn't it strange that the older we get the more aware and
    smarter we become......but sometimes it's just too late!!!!
    Thanks,

PJ

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt
    MM 210 + spoolmate

PJ
    I truly second that statement....................

tooldude56

tooldude56,

Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. It is much appreciated and needed.

Thanks Tooldude, I'll pass this along to the guys in the shop. I think the guys at Orange County Choppers could benefit from your story as well. Their eyes are toast for sure. Rev
    Miller 350P XR push/pull
    Miller 250 DX
    Spectrum 2050 Plasma