Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Heating Rod

I do not know everthing there is to know about storing welding rods, but here is something that has worked pretty well for me. Here in East Texas, we have competing weather patterns. Cold dry air from the north, and warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico. In my shop, I have found that after several days of pretty cold weather, everthing in the shop will eventually get to a cold temp. We then get a sudden warm front from the Gulf. The moist air floods the shop and condenses on everything that is cold. Any piece of metal that is colder than the new, warm, moist air will begin to "sweat", much like a cold, Coca Cola can will do on a summer day. My welding rods will sweat also, seems like it loosens up the flux on them. I tried the light bulb in the old ice box trick for a while, but it seems that the bulb burns out pretty fast, I forget about checking it, and I end up with welding rods that the flux gets a little ruined. I finally started using what I call a Gun Safe Heater. It is a long, slender rod with a heating element inside it. They are made by a company called Goldenrod Heaters (I made an Internet link for you below to see all their sizes). They get about 160 degrees on the skin of the rod. When you put one in most any box container, it will heat up everthing inside the box just a few degrees above the normal outside temp. What this does is, it keeps any metal above the dew point so that a sudden burst of warm moist air from the Gulf will not condense out on the surface of the metal. I really started using this on my rifles I keep in the house. My dad was a WWII veteren, and I have been collecting old military rifles for a while. Nothing gets me more upset when I woud see a tiny patch of rust on a vintage rifle. I do not have air conditioning in my house, so the air even in the house goes from dry to moist all the time. After I found them to work very well on my rifles, I started using it for my welding rods. These heating rods only draw about 10 to 20 watts and they last forever. You can place them in most any kind of box, even an old cardboard box, just plug them in, and forget about having to check lightbulbs. They are kind of expensive at first, but great if you are like me, and forget to check stuff. I would not buy them directly from the Goldenrod Company, too expensive. I got my last batch from Cabelas (the outdoor folks). Here is the link for the Goldenrod Company:

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.co...ifications.htm

Default Thank You

I want to thank everyone so far for the much needed advice!! The gentlemans reply is very familiar with my situation as he lives just about 65 mils north of me and the Gulf warm very humid air is a Killer here on certain things. I will havew to sart with light bulbs but maybe for Christmas my little santa will get me the dehumidifying rod!!!

Try a dry box like you can pick up at walmart in the sporting goods they are for keeping emergency supplies dry on boats, and work great for welding rods
    and they are not very costly.

Default Re:Storing Electrodes

I use the Army surplus mortar shell tubes. They hold about 10# of rods and have an o-ring seal under the cap to keep out moisture. Most surplus stores have them. I have also used the old refrigerator with a 100 watt lamp inside.

I would use the refrigerator method, but I want to make sure the Freon has been recovered properly.

I do like the idea of the frig and would put a lock of some kind on it just for peace of mind.

Jerry

Default Here's what I did.

It works great for me when I'm piddling around.

I cut several pieces of 1-1/2" PVC ( I think I should have gone to 2").

Put test caps in the end and filled with Gorilla glue because it is some tough stuff, but it foams. I purchased an 1-1/2" floor drain fitting and caps for the rod holders.

I can switch them out for whatever rod I'm using and it keeps the rods standing up and a little easier to grab even while wearing gloves. When I'm done, I just cap it and it goes on the shelf. TADA!

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."