I do not know everthing there is to know about storing welding rods, but here is something that has worked pretty well for me. Here in East Texas, we have competing weather patterns. Cold dry air from the north, and warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico. In my shop, I have found that after several days of pretty cold weather, everthing in the shop will eventually get to a cold temp. We then get a sudden warm front from the Gulf. The moist air floods the shop and condenses on everything that is cold. Any piece of metal that is colder than the new, warm, moist air will begin to "sweat", much like a cold, Coca Cola can will do on a summer day. My welding rods will sweat also, seems like it loosens up the flux on them. I tried the light bulb in the old ice box trick for a while, but it seems that the bulb burns out pretty fast, I forget about checking it, and I end up with welding rods that the flux gets a little ruined. I finally started using what I call a Gun Safe Heater. It is a long, slender rod with a heating element inside it. They are made by a company called Goldenrod Heaters (I made an Internet link for you below to see all their sizes). They get about 160 degrees on the skin of the rod. When you put one in most any box container, it will heat up everthing inside the box just a few degrees above the normal outside temp. What this does is, it keeps any metal above the dew point so that a sudden burst of warm moist air from the Gulf will not condense out on the surface of the metal. I really started using this on my rifles I keep in the house. My dad was a WWII veteren, and I have been collecting old military rifles for a while. Nothing gets me more upset when I woud see a tiny patch of rust on a vintage rifle. I do not have air conditioning in my house, so the air even in the house goes from dry to moist all the time. After I found them to work very well on my rifles, I started using it for my welding rods. These heating rods only draw about 10 to 20 watts and they last forever. You can place them in most any kind of box, even an old cardboard box, just plug them in, and forget about having to check lightbulbs. They are kind of expensive at first, but great if you are like me, and forget to check stuff. I would not buy them directly from the Goldenrod Company, too expensive. I got my last batch from Cabelas (the outdoor folks). Here is the link for the Goldenrod Company:

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.co...ifications.htm