Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Millermatic 210 can't weld aluminium

I'm at my whits end. I consider myself pretty sharp, and have read a lot on this subject but am certainly no welder by vocation. I could really use some pointers.

Here is the info. I'm attempting to weld up an aluminum tank. Material is .080 (2mm) sheet stock. I have the 3035 spool gun with .030 and .035 aluminum wire. I have a pure argon tank and made sure I have no drafts where I'm welding.

I've tried the recommended #3@50-55 and get lots black burns, if I switch to #2@65 the black turns more to grey. If I up the # or down the wire feed, I loose control of the arc . NONE of these welds look good (globed, moutainous with pores, or not covering the cavity) Sometimes I'll start a weld and it will look good, shinny, coined, but then BAM burn a hole..... I've also tried starting and stopping, man that was the worst. Sooooo, I'm open for help PLS..

I want a TIG machine, is it going to be harder than this???
    Sorry for the lengthy post, just wanted to include all the info. Thanks

I think guys running AL in their migs are using around 25cfh of argon. How much flow are you running?

Tigging AL isn't bad once you get the hang of mild steel. It's harder to see when the puddle is actually there, but other than that, you just get it hot enough and start dipping away.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Here is my inexperienced opinion.

At a Miller Road Show the Miller Rep asked if I wanted to weld Aluminum.

I told him I am new and barely confident at welding steel. He said to give it a try. So I picked up the MIG gun and ran a beed. He said " ya need to speed up trave time" So I ran faster and my god I laid down a nice filet joint. I impressed myself.

Now on to TIG ..... OK OK .... it was a total embarassment, but " not bad " for a " first time ".

I don't know what to tell you other then I welded aluminum with the MM210 at the Road Show.

Two things the Miller Rep told me that stuck in my head..... Clean the joint with a DEDICATED Stainless Steel Wire Brush just before you weld it ... even if you cleaned it a half hour ago. And make sure gas flow it proper and no breeze.

I recall reading somewhere if your dog is standing 10 feet from you and wagging his tail you could have trouble. But I think they were exaggerating.

Maybe next week I will setup my 210 to weld AL off the Spool Gun.

I just use scotchbrite pads in the mini angle die grinder.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Well as to the flow, static was around 22psi. Should I be looking for the 25cfm while the trigger is pulled? Didn't do that.

As for cleaning, I'm in the upper etchelons of OCD... Bought a SS brush just for the AL, tacked the whole thing up good, brushed off all the dadgum black burns, then cleaned with MEK (like aceton) Seemed not to help. I certainly could post some pics on my Photobucket site if it would help. Very frustrating, I've never come across something I couldn't just figure out by reading and practice

Thanks for all the insight

Turn up the flow to 25, clean well, forget about coins just run a stright bead, stickout should be about 1/2" or more, start with the end of the wire about 1/4" or so from the workpeice, practice until you get the travel speed down, you will be speeding up as you reach the end. Some black soot is no big deal, just clean it off, use 4043 wire if you aren't already. Make sure you push the gun and the approach angle is very importent. If your starts are cold use a ramp or preheat the start area. This is what works for me, milage may vary for others.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter