Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Replacing Ground Cable

Need to replace ground cable on MM175. Probably upgrade to #4 cable (from #6). Can someone recommend good source for cable and connectors?

Why would you want to increase the size? The original is what Miller decided was the best option for your machine, to go bigger will only cost you more.
    As for a source, check with your LWS.

I was going to change the ground setup anyway since I'm not a big fan of the MM175 ground clamp. Probably go with Tweco copper clamp. Was browsing at HD the other night and noticed a Lincoln 175 rig with #4 ground cable. Many of the capacity tables tend toward #4 with the current range of the 175.

Just gotta find some connectors that will fit the MM175 attachment block. My LWS tends toward the large commercial firms and doesn't much want to deal with lowly DIYers.

I always want to try the local guys first.
    Try this place : http://www.ramweldingsupply.com/

HTH

Rich

I am Miller's Product Manager for the MM175. Upgrading to #4 work lead is just fine. If you going to make it longer that the standard 10 ft., then a #4 is a very good idea. A longer #6 will reduce the voltage to the arc and cause problems. Go to your local welding distributor for the cable, they have the tools to install the connectors.

May I ask what you dislike about the MM175 work clamp? Have you ever had a problem with it?

Thanks
    Ken

Default I don't have a dog in this hunt, but.....

Ken,

When I'm interviewing welders or looking at welding machines the ground clamp is the first thing I look for. It is a HUGE window into the quality I can expect from either because it is so easily overlooked and yet critical to the process as a whole. I use two types, both brass. A little more up front, but worth it in the long run.

Keep up the good work.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."