Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Red face TIG filler wire size?

Is there a rule of thumb when selecting the size of filler wire to use. Lets say I'm Tig welding 2'' sch.40 carbon pipe, it's about 1/4'' thick. What determines the size of the filler wire. 1/8'' wire or 3/32'' wire? Is it the root gap?

I don't know what the rule of thumb is for filler size selection, but here's what I've gathered from both the Miller and Lincoln TIG calculators. Looks like it is ball park figure of 1/2 the material thickness. Filler size recommendation was the same for butt, lap, corner, and fillet welds, only amperage changed depending on the weld.

1/16" material = .045" or 1/16" filler
    3/32"" material = 1/16" or 3/32" filler
    1/8" material = 1/16" or 3/32" filler
    3/16" material = 1/8" filler
    1/4" material = 3/32" filler
    1/2" material = 1/4" filler

These were for steel. Aluminum would use the larger of the two recommendations.

BTW, the Lincoln calculator offered the smaller size filler material. I don't know why they recommended smaller.

Hope this helps.

Default Al rod size.

When tigging aluminum I like to use a filler rod one size bigger than the material at a minimum.

Default check this

THANKS! But... I noticed NORHERNLIGHTS indicated 3/16'' material requires 1/8'' filler wire and 1/4'' material use 3/32'' filler wire. Is this correct, use the smaller filler wire for the thicker material being welded? I would think just the opposite.

As a rule, don't use a filler larger than your base metal size. You would have to expend too much heat to melt the filler and would be too close to burning through the base metal. For your 1/16 use 040-1/16, 1/8" material likes 3/32 filler unless it's a large fillet then use the 1/8 but I think it's overkill. For your 1/4 wall sh40 I'd use 3/32 on the root and 1/8 fill or just use the 3/32 all the way.

Hope this helps.

Andy in Denver

Quote Originally Posted by Eicon
    THANKS! But... I noticed NORHERNLIGHTS indicated 3/16'' material requires 1/8'' filler wire and 1/4'' material use 3/32'' filler wire. Is this correct, use the smaller filler wire for the thicker material being welded? I would think just the opposite.
    I doubled checked the calculators and found that the Lincoln calculator did recommend 3/32" for 1/4" material. I made a mistake from the Miller calculator, they recommend 3/16" on 1/4". The calculators are great tools for finding a starting point, but individual preference and application may vary.