Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Material for a small ramp

I saw a small (approx. 1 foot long) ramp in a motorcycle rag. The purpose of the ramp, is to function like car ramps you use for working under the car. When a motorcycle is chopped or lowered, you can not longer get a lift jack under it, so this small ramp lifts the bike about 3 inches so that the lift can slide under the frame of the bike again.

I want to build one of these. Considering chopped bikes run about 500 pounds, and full-dressers that are lowered go up to about 750 pounds, what thickness of plate should I use? Of course, the ramp would only have to support a fraction of the total weight, and since it usually goes under the rear wheel, it get the "lighter" end of the bike.

Attached is a picture of the one I saw that I want to use as a template.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

------------------
    Lincoln SP135T
    Miller Spectrum 375

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.