Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Tungsten Stickout

Brand new to TIG welding, i just splurged on myself and bought a dynasty 200dx. I am SLOWLY aquiring details on what to do but i can't sem to find any guidelines on how far the tungsten should stick out?? What is the rule here? Is there one? how does stick out affect the welding performance?

Generally speaking I just doublew the diameter of the tungsten and that is what I use as a stick out. 1/16" electrode =1/8" stickout or 3/32" electrode =3/16" stickout This isn't rocket science some jobs require more stickout like inside corners. My numbers are a start point, nothing more so don't call it gospel. I've been tigging for about 7 monthes and it works fairly well for me.

Peace,

thanks, i'll try it this weekend

They say that it should stick out as little as possible, but a maximum of 3 times the thickness of the electrode. This is all based on the fact that the shielding gas can only cover a certain distance before it disperses too much to be effective. Basically, if your weld starts spitting at you and turning funky colors and getting contaminated, you are sticking out too much.

You can increase the amount you are able to stick out if you get a lense for your torch (up to 6 times the tungsten thickness), but I am not too familiar with them, and I'm not sure where to get them. I have a Diamond Back torch #17, I think (the one that comes in the contractor's kit), that I was looking to buy a lense for, but I can't find one.
    -SPiNNeR-

Hobart 135
    Oxy-Acet w/ Victor torch
    Dynasty 200 DX

lramberson Guest

Per the BoilerMaker: "It is the limited to the diameter of the end of the cup with the exception of installation of a gas lens. The gas lens offers increased gas coverage and he has gone as far it takes to get in the close confines of a weld area.
    I go with a gas lens set with 1/4" stick out on a # 7 cup to get reach on tube joints. It works for me with 20 to 25 cf's flow on the gauge. I am probably a little high on the gas level but better safe than sorry & have a bad weld
    Gas lenses are readily available at the suppliers in my area and from the online crowd.

Also depends on the joint. A fillet weld will hold gas coverage better than a butt joint. I've extended electrodes 3/4" to get in tight included angles with no issues. Look at the tungsten tip after welding to see if it's discolored blue or black. This would tell you your limits. Remember to keep your tungsten down in the gas shield area until your post flow ends. The inverters are a lot more friendly to tungsten stick out. Also remember that too much gas flow will cause turbulance and that's just as bad as no gas.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Default Stick This!

I did'nt get to read all your replies but the one i did read mentioned the CUP. ''Rule of THUMB'' to remember always is NEVER have more than one or TWO diamiters of the tungsten sticking out pass cup face. If you need to, say when welding a deep joint only stick out tungsten half of the cup size that is being used. TIP, If the cup say is a #6 which may have an inside diamiter of 5/8'' ID then only stick tungsten out, half of 5/8'' which is 5/16'' but remember the gas your using needs to cover the weld being welded. If the metal your melting from the arc and the ARC does'nt get covered enough by the gas being used, you'll see PEROSITY! Try sticking tungsten out a lot, then follow the rule of thumb and TIP you'll see a difference.