Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Going out West?

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Question Going out West?

Ok to start I will appologise for all the threads I have been posting.

Now I hear everyone talking about going up west, My friend he is in College and says he will be heading out to do apprenticeship, Telling me being a welder out west is probly the worst place to be a welder of course theres good money in it but the housing is very ****ty. Is this true, I'm sure some of you guys are out there. Whats the starting wage for a welder, My sister is telling soemthing about a Blue Seal I have never herd of this but she told em her friend has one and gets 140 out there. I am here on little old
    Prince Edward Island everyone and there dog are heading out west so I feel that the demand for jobs here will be highly likely and the money will hopefully be just as sweet mind you out west would still be better.

Are you talking Alberta or Colorado?

Jerry

I ment Alberta but info about both would be good

If you are learning what you need to and get the answers to your ? why are you appologizing for your psts that is what we are on here for good luck
    garthswelding@aol.com trail blazer 301g with all the fixins:delta band saw dewalt chop saw craftsman drill press, sp-135 mm251 spectrum 375 suite case mig, tig w/hi freq. one welding truck.

Default life out west

The rundown on Colorado and Wyoming is as follows: Rig welders are making a handsome amount right now in this area. If you carry your own liability insurance, you can bill yourself out for about $75-$120 an hour....more if you sign up guys to work under your insurance and charge them a fee. Primarily Patterson, Nabors, Encana and Terasen/KinderMorgan are hiring the rig welders. I was in Casper, WY last summer as it was blowing up. In 3 months the wages went from $65/hr up to $80/hr and the companies allegedly stopped testing welds and stopped drug testing welders because they were in such dire need of qualified help. There's a lot of work going into upgrading refineries and pwr plants in the area also.

that sounds like some very good money... I did hear that welding while smoking marijuana works well i dont believe that its right to do that. If your good at welding and you have a tallent for it why do you need drugs to make you any better, mind you i use to smoke pot but i quit and have been happy without it ever since, also im not trying to tell welders that smoking pot and welding is a bad thing thats just my opinion.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TexAg View Post
    The rundown on Colorado and Wyoming is as follows: Rig welders are making a handsome amount right now in this area. If you carry your own liability insurance, you can bill yourself out for about $75-$120 an hour....more if you sign up guys to work under your insurance and charge them a fee. Primarily Patterson, Nabors, Encana and Terasen/KinderMorgan are hiring the rig welders. I was in Casper, WY last summer as it was blowing up. In 3 months the wages went from $65/hr up to $80/hr and the companies allegedly stopped testing welds and stopped drug testing welders because they were in such dire need of qualified help. There's a lot of work going into upgrading refineries and pwr plants in the area also.
    What ropes would I have to jump through to work down there?