Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Default mig welding problems

Ok well at my school we have miller mig welders and everytime I start to weld my wire feed clogs up yet I use a tip cleaner and the tip lube stuff it still clogs we have checked the cord for knots , and we made sure the wire tension isnt to tight or to lose but we still have problems with it. The mig has been there for a cople years so its really not up to date with the leatest miller technologie so please tell me what I can try.

Did you check the liner in the cable it could be crushed.

The solution could be as simple as changing the liner in the gun....they tend to get clogged up over time. It's possible to help reduce the buildup of material in the liner by using a lubricating pad that you mount at the drive roll assembly. You may also be able to help reduce material build up by making sure you always use the correct drive roll (knurled for FC wires and smooth for solid wire)....the knurled rolls have a tendency to slip (even if it's just a little bit every so often) on solid wire causing shavings to get in the liner. Or it could be kinked somewhere. You said you checked it, but did you make sure to pull the liner from the gun?

I'd bet dollars to pesos your liner is just dirty or has a slight kink in it.

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

my teacher changed the gun im not in the class i already passed it but my friend told me its workign better but ill keep what you said and give that informetion to him so he can check if ti starts doing it again, thank you for the information