Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car Dolly

Tyger Guest

Default Car Dolly

Hi, I am new here. I was wondering if anyone has any easy, workable plans for making a car dolly (a short trailer that holds the front wheels of a hauled car).
    Any help or hints are appreciated!

Tyger

U-haul and a digital camera, and a few quick measurements should get you about where you want to go. I've built several pieces of equipment using this technique. A log splitter, a trailer, and a couple bumpers for trucks. I get the basics from what has been done and is proven then make the design my own.

Hope this helps,

Cool

Pjs right, Just swing by and look at a few. I made a few of them in the early 1980's. I used 3x3 angle for the tires to drop in, i think the frame was 76" wide between the fenders. The frame was just the 2 pcs of angle with the points up and frame ends also from 3x3, a tubing tongue and an axle welded underneath the angle frame. The fenders were welded to the frame ends. Simple...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

The u-haul piece is really wide, when I used one a while back it felt like it was over 102" (I know thats the legal limit). It also has a pivot point which makes it pretty much unbackable with a car on it.

If I built one I would make it relatively narrow so its easy to get around, no pivot point, and I would place the car tires somewhat in front of the dolly axle so there is some kind of tongue weight on the truck, that is a big problem with dollys, no tongue weight so they can get kind of unsafe. I would use a drop torsion axle w/elec brakes because thats simpler to build than a sprung axle.
    Justin Starkey
    Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
    Miller 210 MIG
    Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
    VMP Tuning.com

Default tow bar

if u are going to tow the same vehicle most of the time get a tow bar ,usaly u can even make your own brackets.