Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thumbs down

Well, the new machine came today... I fired it up... This time I have tons of dross, but only on one side of the cut. I have tried new tips, etc, all with the same result. Help me out here - is 1/16" of dross along the entire cut line normal??? I'm so ridiculously disappointed. I have checked that the angle of the cut is perfectly straight up and down so there is no way that I could be leaning the torch one way or the other. I have good air flow, as we have ruled this out from the last run. The dross can be removed with a good pair of pliers, but it can not be taken off with a wire wheel, it's on there pretty good. I tried cutting two pieces of 1/8" stacked and the machine barely made a sever cut. What is going on here?!!!
    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

------------------
    Lincoln SP135T
    Miller Spectrum 375

Pics of the cuts that aren't making it through 1/8" with dross everywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

------------------
    Lincoln SP135T
    Miller Spectrum 375

????????? Do you have the ground attached to the piece that you are cutting, or is the piece being cut just clamped to your table???????? You need to grind a clean spot and attach the ground directly to the piece being cut. If you are already doing that than NEVER MIND. I just didn't see any clean spots on your sample in the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
    ????????? Do you have the ground attached to the piece that you are cutting, or is the piece being cut just clamped to your table???????? You need to grind a clean spot and attach the ground directly to the piece being cut. If you are already doing that than NEVER MIND. I just didn't see any clean spots on your sample in the pics.
    I tried both with the ground clamp on the piece, and on the table. The pictures are just one example, I have other examples of perfectly clean steal. I tried the same thing with those. Clamp on the piece, and clamp just on the table.
    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

------------------
    Lincoln SP135T
    Miller Spectrum 375

Looks like normal now to me....not really sure what you expect??
    It isn't a laser! I use a straightedge and the drag technique and appearance improves a great deal.
    I believe after you work on your technique and log some real work time with it you will improve your results a lot.
    I have had people use mine and was suprised at the crappy results they were getting because I had not taken into account they really never had used a plasma cutter much and really wasn't that skilled with a cutting torch either.
    As for the dross I like to knock it off with a sliding motion across the surface...usually with an axe....from the cutting torch days!!
    Don't lose heart....

I will echo what FUSIONKING has said.

Those look like some of my 'cuts' at times.

Try using a straight edge and running a cut along it. Also keep travel speed constant. Don't start the cut too fast. My best cuts come when I am using the stand-oo roller, a straight edge ... I have the wheels of the roller just off the edge of the piece being cut, fire up the arc and slowly bring it back over the workpiece to begin cutting.

It's funny sometimes I get perfect cuts when I am just fooling around, and not so good cuts when I try real hard.

Torch angle is important - should be " straight down " through the workpiece.

It looks like the 375 you have is making the cut - you just need to try a little more practice.

Sort of off topic - are you doing anything to DRY the air before it enters the 375? You never did say what you are doing in those regards.

Quote Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post

I've cut through painted sheet metal with mine and the clamp was stuck wherever I could get it to stick. Sometimes I get a bit of dross along the cut, sometimes not. If I could remember what I did when I got the cleaner cuts, all my cutse would be great!!!

I need more practice.

Default Dross

I know some other posts have somewhat covered this point, but in my experiences moisture in the air supply plays a big roll in the quallity of the cut. I am currently having similar problems at work, due to an increase in air usage from other departments... The water seperators can't keep up with the demands.

On another note, I have worked in a facillity that had poor air feed quallity to the point that the moisture content in the air supply caused the Thermadyne plasma unit to short out, costing hundreds of dollers to repair.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyTIG View Post
    I know some other posts have somewhat covered this point, but in my experiences moisture in the air supply plays a big roll in the quallity of the cut. I am currently having similar problems at work, due to an increase in air usage from other departments... The water seperators can't keep up with the demands.

On another note, I have worked in a facillity that had poor air feed quallity to the point that the moisture content in the air supply caused the Thermadyne plasma unit to short out, costing hundreds of dollers to repair.

Hope this helps

That's why I have been asking about how he is drying the air.

I know he is using a compressor that is not up to the requirements, so it is gonna be running a lot ... the running and compressing will heat up the air and increase moisture in doing so.

We put a cheapo Motor Guard filter on ours, as well as a dessicant indicator that will change color after so much moisture has hit it.

I want a refrig cooling unit at some point.

If I am not mistaken you can use NITROGEN .... I may get a bottle to try it just to seee what a difference there is in dry air.

I do not have an air drier installed yet. I can try adding one this weekend and see if it makes any difference. I find it hard to believe that it's going to make the magnitude of difference that would be needed to make this machine compete with my old way of cutting with an angle grinder and cutting wheel, but I will give it a shot.
    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

------------------
    Lincoln SP135T
    Miller Spectrum 375