Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

vtwin4life,
    I teach high school metals classes and I have to say that your cuts look similar to what I see coming from my students the first couple of times they try it. Just keep working at it and you should see better results. It almost looks to me like your travel speed was a little fast. That actually is the biggest problem I have with my students, getting them to slow down and let the machine do the work. Either too high or too low a travel speed can cause dross to form.There is usually a range of travel speed that will produce dross free or minimal dross cuts. That range is something you will have to find while playing around with the machine.

Good Luck,
    Brennen
    Last edited by unib63; 12-15-2006 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amos F. View Post
    D**m I wish I could could see my spelling mistakes before I post something. Is there a spellcheck on the post page?
    Try this.... http://www.iespell.com/download.php

It works great for me!
    I also always use the "preview post" button & read it as it will appear, before posting

Ever notice how your impact works better with a half inch line than a 3/8? Its all volume supply.
    Amos
    Amos - you hit the nail on the head. It's not "pressure" as you can put 150 PSI in a 1/8" diameter tube. It's all about volume. When I first hooked up my 375 to a compressor that met the specs, we had dross as well. ( used a 25 ft long 3/8" line ). Switched over to 1/2" and saw a difference in dross reduction. I had the same thought on air tools as my kicker sanders seem to fun stronger on 1/2" line.

Sadly for me the 375 will be installed about 40 feet from the compressor, so we are gonna hard plumb air to it with pipe. Another expense, but it will cut back on the aggravation level. Probably run 1 1/2" pipe, using 4 feet of 1/2 between compressor and pipe and then between pipe and plasma cutter. If I have to I will fashion some sort of air resovoir at the plasma cutter end.

D**m I wish I could could see my spelling mistakes before I post something. Is there a spellcheck on the post page?

Get Firefox for your browser (it's free!!)...it has spell check built in so it will work on any web page you type on. SSS

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

A Little Update ....

OK so we all know a cool dry air supply is important, and so is FLOW.

I have a 80 gallon compressor very capable of providing what the 375 demands and was feeding it throug 25 feet of 3/8" hose and I was satisfied with the results. Well I was curious and decoded to up the hose to 1/2".

Did it make a difference? I'll say it did.

The amount of dross I saw on some 1/4" angle was nothing compared with the 1/2" line as compared to the 3/8" line, and I wasn't really trying to get a great cut .... just a quick cut across the angle.

I set the compressor output to 90 PSI and adjusted the regulator on the 375 to the upper limit.

It DEFINITELY made the difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
    A Little Update ....

OK so we all know a cool dry air supply is important, and so is FLOW.

I have a 80 gallon compressor very capable of providing what the 375 demands and was feeding it throug 25 feet of 3/8" hose and I was satisfied with the results. Well I was curious and decoded to up the hose to 1/2".

Did it make a difference? I'll say it did.

The amount of dross I saw on some 1/4" angle was nothing compared with the 1/2" line as compared to the 3/8" line, and I wasn't really trying to get a great cut .... just a quick cut across the angle.

I set the compressor output to 90 PSI and adjusted the regulator on the 375 to the upper limit.

It DEFINITELY made the difference for me.
    I've been busy/away due to the season, but just caught up on reading this. I did some small cuts for some xmas projects on 16 gauge and still got tons of dross even with the air dryer. I will try using a shorter air hose and see what this does for me.
    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

------------------
    Lincoln SP135T
    Miller Spectrum 375

I ran 1 1/2 black pipe all the way around my shop, so it makes a loop and then tee'd in the supply from the compressor tank. I used 1" drops where I wanted a manifold.

I run a 1" impact with a really big manifold off two separate places in my shop. The impact has 30' of 3/4 air hose plumbed permanently to it with the male manifold coupler on the other end. I have had trouble with it breaking off 1" wheel studs (diameter not swrench size) when really hitting them hard.

thanks for the links to the spell check sites. I will go looking there. I am not very computer literate, and seem a real slow learner with this thing.
    Amos

Default Spell Checker

Download and install ieSpell (free) from here. It works as an addin application in your browser (at least it does with Internet Explorer - don't know about other browsers)
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

Thanks to TomV. I am trying out the link in your post right now. It works good.
    Thanks
    Amos F