Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Tons of dross with my new Spectrum 375

Can someone diagnose what I'm doing wrong?... I just got a new Spectrum 375 plasma cutter, and it's running on 240v. No matter what I cut, 16ga on up to 3/16" I get tons of dross on the bottom of the cut. It's very difficult to remove. I have tried changing the output, from 16 amps all the way to full power 27amps with no effect. I have tried increasing the air pressure, even outside the little green arrows. I have also tried slowing my cut, and increasing the speed of the cut to the point at which it doesn't cut all the way through 1/8" steel. Seems that no matter what I do, I end up with tons of dross, or it doesn't cut all the way through. Also - I get a lot of curved lines on the cut, no smooth edges. This is very disappointing seeing that this machine is rated to cut 3/8" and I'm getting crappy cuts on 1/8". I'm doing just small cuts (an inch or two) with a 25 gallon compressor set at 90psi. I'm totally disappointed and wondering A) am I doing something totally wrong, or B) is my machine defective?
    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

------------------
    Lincoln SP135T
    Miller Spectrum 375

Unhappy

One other interesting thing to note....

The manual says to turn the machine on, and set the power output knob to gas/air set. It then says to set the air pressure with the air control knob. When I do this, as soon as I get the pressure to the minimum area of the green arrows, it sputters air and sounds like a machine gun. The only way I can properly set the air pressure is to do exactly what the directions say NOT to do, and set the air pressure after I have set the output to the desired amperage.

I'm beginning to wonder if I got the lemon of the lot (as usual) or if I'm just not using the machine correctly.... There are so few directions, and I keep trying all kinds of different settings with amperage and air settings, but I keep getting lots of very difficult to remove bottom dross and not-so-nice cuts.
    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

------------------
    Lincoln SP135T
    Miller Spectrum 375

I am in no way an expert- not even close but wonder.

Are you holding ther torch off the workpiece, and if so how far?

I have had some dross on thicker pieces but was easily knocked off. Also changed the way I hold and move the torch. I watched a Miller Rap get a clean cut on 1/2 and he held the torch just off the piece when he started and kept it pointed STRAIGHT DOWN. If ya run the torch at an angle you are forcing it to make a cut thicker then the material actually is. Of course on 1/8" it shouldn't matter.

What have you done to dry the air going into the 375?

At the moment we are only using a Motor Guard Filter to dry the air and it seems to be working as we put a Dessicant Indicator between the filter and cutter to give us a visual on moisture getting in.

Also what is the CFM rating of your compresser at 90 PSI?

I know the 375 requires 4.5 CFM @ 60 PSI according to Page 10 of the Manual. They usually show two ratings on a compressor, one at 40 PSI and the other at 90 PSI. I am running mine on a 60 Gal Compr putting out 10.3 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Again these are just things to check. Also if all else is good, try changing a tip/electrode. When I noticed cuts getting a little rough, I switched tips and that made a big difference. The first tip I am sure we beat to death cutting up everything we found into tiny little pieces.

We put a self propelled 22" lawn mover in a shoe box.

Quote Originally Posted by vtwin4life View Post
    One other interesting thing to note....

The manual says to turn the machine on, and set the power output knob to gas/air set. It then says to set the air pressure with the air control knob. When I do this, as soon as I get the pressure to the minimum area of the green arrows, it sputters air and sounds like a machine gun.
    The reason it sputters there is not enough AIR getting to the 375 from the compressor.

STOP HERE

OK ... when it begins to sputter it is not getting enough flow from the compressor. Crank up the compressor.

You need to have at least 4.5CFM@60 PSI going into the 375 for the Air Regultor on the 375 to work.
    Last edited by harcosparky; 11-12-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Your AIR FLOW is a problem.

I just duplicated you problem in my system.

I turned my COMPRESSOR down to 0 PSI

Turned on the 375 and put the know all the way back to SET

As I turned up the compressor the 375 began to SPUTTER until the compressor reached at least 60 PSI on the regulator.

If the AIR light on the 375 is LIT it indicates a problem with air supply

Unhappy

My compressor is a 25 gallon and I have the regulator set at 90psi. My compressor is under powered (less than 4.5 cfm @ 90psi) but the Miller rep told me I would be ok, just not able to do real long cuts without having the compressor running constantly. Also, there are a lot of guys here saying they have run the 375 on pancake compressors which have less output than my 25 gallon. If I set the air pressure on the 375 even way over the green arrows I still get heavy dross.

Something doesn't sound right here. I'm starting to lean towards thinking I have a bad 375...
    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

------------------
    Lincoln SP135T
    Miller Spectrum 375

Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
    If the AIR light on the 375 is LIT it indicates a problem with air supply
    Right - this is not lit.
    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

------------------
    Lincoln SP135T
    Miller Spectrum 375

Did you get the machine gunning to stop ???

I just duplcated this condition ---

Comp at 80 PSI

375 to Set / Gas

AIR light OFF

I got machine gunning in the air?

The way I got rid of that was to adjust the knob on the 375 to increase the air.

Once you have to comp at 90 and the 375 set to GAS do the following ....Pull out the black Air Reg knob on the 375 - you should be able to see an ORANGE band .... adjust it up from there.