Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Cold Weather Welding

Up here in Canada, it's dancing around freezing every day. My shop has heat, but so far I haven't put it on yet for the year. Temp is low 40s, and I haven't been in there much recently. I know that welding suffers in temperatures below room temperature, and I won't weld until I boost the temperatures. I also have a hot box I can put stuff in to heat to about 200, to get the chill off.

My concern today is what if any harm the welding gear, or the argon cylinder would come to if I store them in a room that might even dip to freezing. Usualy even with no heat, it doesn't freeze, but it can, are there any particular concerns for my gear if it just sits out there. It is perfectly dry.

Ah, the cold, ya gotta love it. My garage has only the waste heat from the house furnace to stay warm. When it gets cold outside (-40 or lower) the temperature near the floor is at freezing, and isn't too much above that higher. If you have an auto darkening helmet, don't let it freeze. The machines themselves will handle these temps just fine. I've not had any trouble with gas bottles. There are quite a few mobile welding services in the Interior of Alaska, and I bet there are quite a few in northern reaches of Canada as well. They operate on machinary outside all year round. Am I glad at times this is hobby for me and not a means of support. Those guys really earn their money. Your gear should be fine.

Only 4 months until we get back up to freezing! Summer's almost here.

You just reminded me why I live in the desert.

Does the cold harm the auto darkening helmets, or just make it so they don't darken and you go blind.

Exclamation big window

miller told me the only concern on the BWE was for the battery. it was tested down to 19 % ok ,
    seems only battery life was his concern.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES