Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Weld/cut fumes

  1. #1

    Question Weld/cut fumes

    My home workshop is 1/2 my two car garage (the wife will never give up her side ;-)) When working on projects with the doors closed (winter) I can start to build up some fumes. Since I'm fairly new to metal working, I was wondering how other people deal with this situation. Also - how much welding/cutting can I do before I have to be concerned about the fume level?

    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Suffield, Ohio
    Posts
    344

    Default

    I would install windows that you can open and keep the garage door open a bit. It doesn't take much to be harmful either.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Would it be possible to install a " dryer vent " from inside the garage to the outside?

    Then you could develop a vent system using flexible plastic like hose say 4" in diameter, build a fan in the line to vent out the fumes. Perhaps something that you can move around and position near the work piece.

    Woodworkers install elaborate dust collection systems to extract saw dust from thier shops. You could do something along those lines.

    The other simlple solution would be an exhaust fan in a window, and another window open. ( though in winter it gets cold )

    Check these sites you might get ideas ...

    http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=237

    http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=501

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
    Would it be possible to install a " dryer vent " from inside the garage to the outside?

    Then you could develop a vent system using flexible plastic like hose say 4" in diameter, build a fan in the line to vent out the fumes. Perhaps something that you can move around and position near the work piece.

    Woodworkers install elaborate dust collection systems to extract saw dust from thier shops. You could do something along those lines.

    The other simlple solution would be an exhaust fan in a window, and another window open. ( though in winter it gets cold )

    Check these sites you might get ideas ...

    http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=237

    http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=501
    It's interesting that you said this, as it's exactly what I attempted to prototype. The problem I had, was that as soon as I put the hose on, the slowed the in-line fan down to the point that the air flow was almost non-existent. The instant I took the hose off - you could hear the fan ramp up in speed. Maybe I need a more heavy duty fan, but I have not found one yet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vtwin4life View Post
    It's interesting that you said this, as it's exactly what I attempted to prototype. The problem I had, was that as soon as I put the hose on, the slowed the in-line fan down to the point that the air flow was almost non-existent. The instant I took the hose off - you could hear the fan ramp up in speed. Maybe I need a more heavy duty fan, but I have not found one yet.

    Look into the blowers designed for dust collection .... they are designed to pull wood chips, and saw dust. I use one made by Jet ... it does quite the job.

    It sits outside and I hook it into the plumbing when I work and bring it back it when I am done.


    I have a unit like this --> http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11239
    Last edited by harcosparky; 11-08-2006 at 01:58 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    springvale me
    Posts
    89

    Default

    what you need is a squirle cage fan or one like vthey use as a blower on a wood stove also you cuold use a shop vac and put a hood over it that vents to the out side. good luck ....garth
    garthswelding@aol.com trail blazer 301g with all the fixins:delta band saw dewalt chop saw craftsman drill press, sp-135 mm251 spectrum 375 suite case mig, tig w/hi freq. one welding truck.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wheeling
    Posts
    169

    Default

    I use a dust evacuation system what is built on the stuff from the wood working shows. It works well.

    I weld in a 2 car garage and during cooler months, I have two options, open the window some to let air in with evacuation running as the exhaust or my other option is to stay in bed.

    You have one life, don't ruin your health.

    Jerry

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfsmith View Post
    I use a dust evacuation system what is built on the stuff from the wood working shows. It works well.

    I weld in a 2 car garage and during cooler months, I have two options, open the window some to let air in with evacuation running as the exhaust or my other option is to stay in bed.

    You have one life, don't ruin your health.

    Jerry
    Wow - great replies guys. I'm getting the idea that the fumes are 10 times more harmful than I thought. I don't think I'm doing the degree of work that you all are doing, but just the same it starts to stink in that garage. I guess I need to get more serious about fixing what I thought was a small problem. By the way, my garage has no windows (by design), so I will have to knock a hole in the wall.

    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

  9. #9

    Default Smoke alarm problems

    One other thing.... Since I have been more serious with the welding/cutting work I do in my garage, I installed another larger fire extinguisher, and a smoke/co alarm. The other night, when I tested my new spectrum 375, I set off the smoke alarm after only a couple cuts (a few inches each) through 16ga. How do you guys set up with alarms? I can't have that thing going off with every little bead or cut. I have it mounted on a beam on the ceiling about 8 ft from my welding bench. Would a different location work better?

    Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maryville, IL
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Be aware of your sparks too. If your garage is like most garages and that you share yours with you wife car and stuff; you can easily cause some damage to you garage and home.

    Plasmas are great for cutting and for starting fires.

    Just my 2 cents....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 62

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 137