Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default New Spectrum 375

Hi -

I'm have been teaching myself how to weld and fabricate for the past year and a half (taking classes at Busted Knuckle U). My goal from the start was light household fabrication, and custom motorcycle parts. I succeeded in building what I think were some nice parts (shift linkage, fenders, brake pedal, license plate/taillight brackets) for my own bike. I feel I have only learned the smallest tip of the iceberg when it comes to welding, but I'm getting better with each bead.

My biggest chore always seems to be cutting. All my cuts where done with an angle grinder and cutting wheel. I decided that since I did so much already, that it was time to splurge on a Spectrum 375 plasma unit. I took delivery last night.

I have two questions. First - what do people normally use for patterns? Is it possible to make a pattern out of cardboard and run the tip along it or does it just catch fire? Second - I want to do drag cutting so I got the drag cup, drag tips, and drag shield. After installing it the drag shield is flush with the tip. Seems like that kinda defeats the purpose. I checked it a million times to see if there was something I was doing wrong, but I haven't seen anything. Has anyone else installed the drag "stuff" on a 375?

Chop it and ride it,
    Tim

The drag tip on my TD leaves about 1/16" of gap from the actual consumable tip insert.

Cardboard might not be a good idea, but I'm not positive about that. I tried taping off some lines and the tape melted and caught fire, but that's also a bit more direct contact with the work piece. If the 27 amp machine will get the work as hot as mine does @40 is another question entirely.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    The drag tip on my TD leaves about 1/16" of gap from the actual consumable tip insert.

Cardboard might not be a good idea, but I'm not positive about that. I tried taping off some lines and the tape melted and caught fire, but that's also a bit more direct contact with the work piece. If the 27 amp machine will get the work as hot as mine does @40 is another question entirely.
    I have a 375 but not the drag cup ... I should look into it

We do have the stand-off roller attachment, and I think with this on the distance between the roller wheel and tip might be enough to allow a cardboard template.

How much distance between the tip and the side of the cup? Is the cup much wider than the torch body?

Best thing to do is try it. If ya have a piece of scrap long enough and some cardboard, run it along the edge for say 12" or more and see.

I'be doing the same myself.

QUESTION: Are the Drag Cup and Tips actual Miller Parts? I don't see them listed on the product accessory web pages
    Last edited by harcosparky; 11-08-2006 at 05:18 PM.

Here is some info on drag cuttting with the 375 from Miller web site ....

"While the Spectrum 375's performance when drag cutting is still outstanding, the 375's increased capabilities result from the ability to shift to standoff cutting technique," says Schmidt. "For example, this machine cuts 3/8-in. steel at 10 IPM when drag cutting and 16 IPM when standoff cutting. Using a standoff also increases maximum cutting capacity by 1/8 in." Miller Electric offers roller guide accessories to aid in holding a consistent standoff to maximize cutting.
    Here is the URL - millerwelds.com/about/news_releases/2003/articles5.html

No mention of a miller drag cup. Somebody told me the standard tips that come with it are ' drag tips '. Though I will go with the standoff mode as it increases consumable life.
    Last edited by envano; 08-15-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Broken Link

Quickie Test -

375 set to full power

no cardboard - we used 3 pieces of printer paper fold in half and dragged the tip right along side the paper. It did burn the paper at the beginning.

I would say if you can keep the tip away from the cardboard say the width of the ring around the torch you'd be OK.

Though I would plan on making extra templates.

if you have the room to do it you can make the templates out of 1/4" ply wood they last forever. we do this to cut out ligth and fuel holes and gas tank fills on harley tanks. good luck.
    garthswelding@aol.com trail blazer 301g with all the fixins:delta band saw dewalt chop saw craftsman drill press, sp-135 mm251 spectrum 375 suite case mig, tig w/hi freq. one welding truck.