Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Relatively speaking, no they are not a pain. It can be much worse. I prefer feeders for some types of work and go back to SMAW for others...just depends. 1/8" on fences, I'd probably stay with rods....would depend on a few things, though. No doubt, the feeder would really help with production, though.

One thought. I am having tons of trouble off an on with the drive rolls and FC wire. I am getting lots of bird nesting and it is really a pain. I was told on another site to try U-groove rolls instead of V knurled rolls, the normal FC roll. I don't even have a .035 VK roll set, just a straight V roll. I have yet to have any issues with that set up at all. You may want to try regular V rolls first with the smaller wire. I really don't have any troubles with the 1/16 wire, just the .045. I have VK's for both of them. Just figured I'd pass it along.

Which VS feeder will you be considering? Miller 8VS, Extreme 12VS or a red one? I like the portability of the 8VS, but don't like the limitations of wire availability in 8" rolls. The 12VS would be my first choice if you want the absolute best all around. It will already have meters and every wire is easily gotten in 12" spools. It is just heavier, that's all. When all I was running was the 8VS, I did have some trouble getting wire in the bigger sizes on 8" spools. Just another thought.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

I am considering the Extreme 12VS. I've been told that it's allot better to go with the 12" just for that reason (the availability of the wires). There are a few things that it would be handy to have it for. I'm doing a fense with a sadle welded top rail that is connected to the three runners with a strap (1"x5/32" flat). No question that doing the sadle weld is a SMAW job, quick and easy. But doing those connections to the strap is allot easier with a feeder. My hired man was using a borrowed setup (a generator on wheels and a Miller 180 on a hand truck) and had to move the welder and generator to each station, and still was going faster than I was using SMAW. If I had a feeder I could really fly. On 3000 feet of fense, that would make quite a difference.

I've looked at the Lincoln LN25 on the lincoln site and literature, but not real hard, as I'm not quite ready for the purchase. Here in a month I'll be ready to go though.

12VS will be a good choice. It will go down lower and has the meters. I like the meters. They help in many ways. Best one is tracking down bad leads. I have to do that from time to time.

Try the saddles with the feeder. You can run pretty fast on them. I do anyway. It can be much easier to fill large gaps, too. Even with .035 wire they can be very easy. On my shop, I was using 3/32 6010's on all the 14 ga purlins. I had intended to do it all with .035 fc, but for some reason I didn't. The 6010's were my old favorite when I was running all sheetmetal. Sure was nice and fast. I should still give the fc a whirl just to see how easy it can be.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC