Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Welding Cast Iron?

Hello:

I broke a cast iron collar (About 1/4" thick) by turning the bolt too tight.

Can it be welded? I have a 230 Volt Mig welder that can produce up to 120 Amps of current, and I have .030" flux core wire for welding steel.

I've never tried to weld cast iron before, and I don't have any scraps to practice on. I don't even know if cast iron can be welded.

Any advice? Thanks!!
    Last edited by MontanaMan; 09-13-2006 at 07:23 PM.

First, is it worth repairing? How expensive is it to just replace?

If it must be repaired, I would vee out the crack on both sides. Preheat in the propane grill and weld, peening it between passes. Bury in ashes, sawdust, or dirt to slowly cool it.

Best results will be with a nickel or stainless wire with a shielding gas, but your existing wire can work.

Is this structural, or must it take pressure?

Default Welding Cast Iron?

Hi:

Thanks for the fast response. I can't replace it. It's from an imported drill press that isn't made any more. It doesn't really take any stress. I just need to be able to tighten it on the DP Quill so that it will move the depth adjuster shaft up and down.

Your advice sounds good. Did you recommend those special procedures because its Cast Iron, or would you also recommend that for steel?

Again, thanks for your help. I don't usually break things like this.

Another possibility ... I also have an Oxy-Acetyline torch. Would it be better to braze the joint? If so, would you recommend bronze or silver brazing rod?

Thanks for your help.

Cool

Is that a lathe faceplate it is sitting on? You can turn a new one on a lathe from steel and weld all the ears on. I need to make one also for my el cheapo drill press except mine is plastic...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Is that a lathe faceplate it is sitting on? You can turn a new one on a lathe from steel and weld all the ears on. I need to make one also for my el cheapo drill press except mine is plastic...Bob
    Thanks for answering. No ... unfortunately, I don't have a lathe. That's a drill press table, and the collar is off of the drill press. If you are making one, would you be willing to make two while you are at it? I can weld the tabs myself. I can send you the specs for my piece. And I'll be happy to pay you some money for it too :-)

Let me know what you think.

Cool

Yes i will make it...Bob aametalmaster@yahoo.com
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

If Bob doesnt have time, I could help you out on that too.
    just athought , but you could make a short outer band out to the ears and attach it with very small screws, but then it may just break where you drill and tap ?

There are some really nice people on here to make stuff for each other.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    There are some really nice people on here to make stuff for each other.

In a world so concerned with the bottom line, it is nice to still see people wanted to help a neighbor out....even if it is across the country!