Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default aluminum welding

Hello every one i was just wondering if any one has welded aluminum ith a stick welder and is it possible.

They do sell aluminum rods, but when i tried had no luck. I use T.I.G for thin or M.I.G for thick stuff.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

blybrook Guest

Default Can be done

Hello all,

I have done this many of times back in high school. We were using 6011 or 6013 rods on a Miller welder set to 80A and some Tig rods. Basically we started the arc with the stick and then pulled it back till the arc was just about gone, then layed in the Tig rod.

Takes some practice, but can be done easily enough. Good luck.

We were taught this trick to help repair some of the shop stools instead of brazing them with the torches. (Our Tig welder didn't work half the time.)

Bill
    Last edited by blybrook; 11-07-2006 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

I've done some Al SMAW. I keep a few rods on the truck, too, for emergencies. It works, but requires DC and lots of practice. I would never recommend it as a process for something on purpose.

Cool

Lots of practice as already said and they are expensive. When i was 18 i used them quite a bit on castings. But now 30 years later i have a mig...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

if you want nice looking beads or welds i would go with a mig or definately tig. i welded aluminum stick before and it wasnt pretty. its possible but not pretty.