Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Good deal for Millermatic 175 mig on Ebay

Ebay Item # 230046967036 is a new Millermatic 175 mig welder for $679.95 with free shipping and no tax. 7 left to sell. I have no connection to the seller. I just bought one.

Big push to get rid of them now that the MM180 is out?

MM 180 is apparently MM 175 + 5 amps + $100. Not yet available in the US.

I dunno...my LWS still has a new HH175 on display. Bet they still have a few MM175's in a year as well.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Quote Originally Posted by dongill View Post
    MM 180 is apparently MM 175 + 5 amps + $100. Not yet available in the US.
    The MM180 is available in the middle of US (Miller likes to be quiet about releases until it's available nationwide which will be by the first of the year according to my rep.), it is also being sold right now on Ebay by IOC. From what I understand there is quite a bit more than just the +5 amps, I know for sure that there is a means (switch?) to disable the WST feature (a very good thing IMO) plus other stuff we don't quite know about. I owned a MM175 (for a few months) some time back and If were me I would wait until I could test drive the new MM180, the Lincoln 180C & T, & the HH187 before buying.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    The MM180 is available in the middle of US (Miller likes to be quiet about releases until it's available nationwide which will be by the first of the year according to my rep.), it is also being sold right now on Ebay by IOC. From what I understand there is quite a bit more than just the +5 amps, I know for sure that there is a means (switch?) to disable the WST feature (a very good thing IMO) plus other stuff we don't quite know about. I owned a MM175 (for a few months) some time back and If were me I would wait until I could test drive the new MM180, the Lincoln 180C & T, & the HH187 before buying.
    One major improvement on the MM 180, over the MM 175, is arc starts. The MM 175 is somewhat stickout sensitive. The MM 180 on the other hand will fire off a good arc start everytime, even with a 1/2" stickout. I also noticed in wire speed tracking mode, the MM 180 is much easier to dial in a solid metal transfer on, then the MM 175. Supposed too, there have also been some improvements made to the output that I haven't got to see yet, because they were done after my field testing of the unit. Hopefully soon though, I'll get my quick look at one of these updated units to check out how much of an improvement was made.

On the MM 180 to go from wire speed tracking mode, to constant wire speed mode, requires a little more then flipping a switch. As a matter of fact, there is no switch. To accomplish the task of going from wire speed tracking to non-wirespeed tracking mode, requires the following procedure:
    1. Power down unit.
    2. Turn wire speed dial to mininum setting.
    3. Turn voltage dial to maximum.
    4. Pull gun trigger, and hold.
    5. Power up unit, while still holding gun trigger down.
    6. Hold gun trigger for at least one second, then release it.

To put the unit back into wire speed tracking mode, requires following the same procedure, except you turn the wire speed and voltage dials in the opposite directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    One major improvement on the MM 180, over the MM 175, is arc starts. The MM 175 is somewhat stickout sensitive. The MM 180 on the other hand will fire off a good arc start everytime, even with a 1/2" stickout. I also noticed in wire speed tracking mode, the MM 180 is much easier to dial in a solid metal transfer on, then the MM 175. Supposed too, there have also been some improvements made to the output that I haven't got to see yet, because they were done after my field testing of the unit. Hopefully soon though, I'll get my quick look at one of these updated units to check out how much of an improvement was made.

On the MM 180 to go from wire speed tracking mode, to constant wire speed mode, requires a little more then flipping a switch. As a matter of fact, there is no switch. To accomplish the task of going from wire speed tracking to non-wirespeed tracking mode, requires the following procedure:
    1. Power down unit.
    2. Turn wire speed dial to mininum setting.
    3. Turn voltage dial to maximum.
    4. Pull gun trigger, and hold.
    5. Power up unit, while still holding gun trigger down.
    6. Hold gun trigger for at least one second, then release it.

To put the unit back into wire speed tracking mode, requires following the same procedure, except you turn the wire speed and voltage dials in the opposite directions.
    Thats cute, I would have liked a button better Thanks for the info.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

dose kinda seem like a bit of a hassel that a flip switch would have solved, also how do you know what mode its in with this method ?? with a flip switch one quick glance would tell ya.
    i must say for such a smart inovative company that was kind of a bone head move, would have been les expensive to add a switch then all the sensing equipment needed to understand the switch internaly. perhaps that was just the process during the testing fase and it will come out with a flip switch ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

My guess is that the average buyer wouldn't even read the manual to even know that WST existed and would probably never notice it anyway, just like most current MM175 users. Now, the more educated, like our readers, will likely just turn it off right away and never turn it back on.

true, odds are you will only use it one way or the othere. not to likely to be switching back and forth, you eather want it or you dont.
    and like ya said most will never even know its there much less know the diference even if they do read it in the book.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES