Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Setting up Trailblazer 251 and S-22P8

Trying to set up and run my "new" S-22P8 on my Trailblazer 251 and think I stumbled into the answer, actually I think dad remembered.

I am running Flux cored .045 and just wanted to verify my switch positions with someone familar with this set up, I have read the manuals and searched these forums and am not seeing the answer.

I am DCEN, I have it set on the MIG setting, I have the "machine lead" plugged into the far right MIG terminal (CV)

I have the two Mig switches down on the little 14 signs, which if I am reading correctly give control too the suitcase.

OK, here are my direct questions
    When I turn my suitcase on, it brings my engine RPM up to Run instead of idle, even if it is on run/idle and was idling, it never returns to idle. Is that normal?

Does my central A/V knob on the Trailblazer still control max output Voltage? If I am reading things right, What I am looking at on the suitcase is a % of Voltage that would be available? Kind of like my amptrol on my TIG, ie, if I set it to 20V wide open is only 20V, is that correct? I think that is my problem, (I had it set down too low) and when it dawned on me, talking to dad, I ran out of gas......

Thanks for any help.

Hope

Alan,
    Click over to the MotorSports section here at Miller and sign up on the Ask Andy message board. There is allot of traffic over there and more guys using portable gear similar to yours. Here is the link:

http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard

There are some great guys there that may have the answer your looking for. I went there when looking for parts to repair my GA-20C gun on my MM200. Got the answers I was looking for really quick. Good luck.

Charlie
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Will do, Thanks.

Did determine that the main AV knob controls max output, Works so much better when I can have more than 20 volts on .045 wire. Still weird for me to weld flux core. Dad loves it, I would about as soon use stick.

OK, here are my direct questions
    When I turn my suitcase on, it brings my engine RPM up to Run instead of idle, even if it is on run/idle and was idling, it never returns to idle. Is that normal?
    Yes.

Does my central A/V knob on the Trailblazer still control max output Voltage? ...etc
    Yes to all. The % voltage knob on the suitcase varies the voltage as a percentage of the overall range defined by the TB251's minimum Voltage to the max voltage as set by the central A/V knod on the TB.
    Example: if the TB's min voltage = 14 V, and the A/V knob is set to 24 V. The range is 10V. Then each 10% on the suitcase =1 V (or ea. 1% = .1V)to add to the TB minimum Volt.
    If suitcase is set to 0 %, the welding voltage will be 14V. If S-22P8 voltage is 10%, then the weld voltage is 14V + 1 V = 15V. Is S-22 is set to 15V, then 14V + 1.5V = 15.5V

I have a TB 280NT and S-22P12, similar to your setup.
    Hope that helps.

Exactly the info I needed, I was guessing the switch was normal bumping up to run, and that it was a percentage, but it just feels a bit better knowing it is then guessing.

You running any innershield / flux core wire?

I was running it and was not overly impressed. My dad love's it, but I would as soon just stick at the rate of mess it makes. I think I need to get another bottle and regulator and get set up to run full MIG.

I have a spool of Esab coreshield, but haven't cracked it open. I am not a big fan of flux core. If I MIG, I have generally been just short circuiting with 0.035" ER70S-6 and C25 gas.
    If you get into some heavy duty MIG you can spray arc transfer with Argon > 85% gases. I ahve seen where some guys on the Ask Andy board buy 85/15 mix to use with both short ckt. and spray.
    I have a spoolgun (Spoolmatic 30A) for Aluminum MIG. It's fun. If you are going to get into Al MIG, I would recommend getting one.

I have an old Miller spoolmatic 1 that I plug into my MM250. Works well for the aluminum heavy stuff, but I tend not to do that much of that type work. I mostly do the odds and ends that come into the shop, and it is usually small stuff.

The spool of flux core in there now is ESAB and I have a couple of spools of Lincoln on the bench.

I think the big difference is my dad's shop has bay door's on each side, and it is like a wind tunnel when they are both open, I don't think he likes closing the doors, so he would just as soon use flux core.

I just got so used to mig, and watching that I do not have a breeze that I like the clean benefits of the gas.

Best part is that it does not eat much, and if I want to run it, I can.