Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: water cooler

Hybrid View

Default water cooler

I run a home made water cooler on my other brand ("L") tig machine and wonder if I am getting decent flow. I recently ran into problems when welding 250 amps AC and had to switch back to my air cooled torch.I have a clear filter on my return into the tank and it looks like I have a fairly decent flow. it is steady and looks like I should have no cooling problems yet I am over heating the tungston to the point of drip. The arc is also getting unstable.
    My cooler consists of a coolant pump (out of a saw) circulating through the torch then into a small radiator (no fan) and back into the tank. About a 2 gallon capacity. Is it possible that there is not enough pressure ? Like I said I do have steady flow. And the problem started with in a the first minute of welding ,long before the water in the tank was warm.
    Never really looked at the a brand name cooler (only worked with cheap-o home built) to compare flow. Any thoughts ?

The "name brand" coolers flow about a quart per minute @ 50 PSI.

You can put a psi guage on the output side of the pump and feed the coolant from the output of the torch into a jar for one minute to see if you are close. Kinda like this ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

i would think a coolant pump would be way to low flow, as its just designed to dribble oil onto the blade not draw the heat off of a closed system. unless i am thinking of a diferent type pump.
    i know a lot of people use submersable fontan pumps that might be an option is your flow is too low.
    also do you know the torch is ok, could it have built up calseum?? are you using the right fluid or just tap watter?
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

The pump I am using is a higher flowing type, made for true flow not just a dribble. But I couldnt tell you about the pressure it puts out ? I am going to invest in a guage to see what it puts out at the pump. I do run tap water but it is reverse osmosis (the best for coffee-not sure about water coolers?), there could be build up. I also run a little anti freeze in the water, the old shop didnt have heat by the welding area and I didnt want it to freeze on the weekends. A buddy told me to run water wetter in it ? It keeps the water attached to the surface instead of letting it bubble away from hot areas, but the water should be out of the torch by the time it is getting to that point. is there a cleaner I can run through it to be sure that its clean ? sheeze this torch is only a few months old I would doubt it has build up in it,plus it does have flow and with that small of orfices you would think a little build up would darn near kill the flow : right ?
    Maybe I need to check my line hook up. does the flow direction make a big difference ? I believe I come out of the tank-through the torch-into the radiator-through the filter- and back into the tank.
    thanks for all the info !

The direction of flow sounds ok, I don't know about using reverse osmosis filtering - I use de-minerialized water in the summer with about 25% RV anti-freeze for the winter, and I change it every quarter. When I built my cooler I bought a 2.5", white faced psi guage from the surplus center for about $2.50 that has worked well, the nice thing about having the pressure guage permently mounted is that if you get some buildup in the torch head (or any other obstruction on the pressure side), the reading will change so you know about it.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The pump I am using is a higher flowing type, made for true flow not just a dribble. But I couldnt tell you about the pressure it puts out ? I am going to invest in a guage to see what it puts out at the pump. I do run tap water but it is reverse osmosis (the best for coffee-not sure about water coolers?), there could be build up. I also run a little anti freeze in the water, the old shop didnt have heat by the welding area and I didnt want it to freeze on the weekends. A buddy told me to run water wetter in it ? It keeps the water attached to the surface instead of letting it bubble away from hot areas, but the water should be out of the torch by the time it is getting to that point. is there a cleaner I can run through it to be sure that its clean ? sheeze this torch is only a few months old I would doubt it has build up in it,plus it does have flow and with that small of orfices you would think a little build up would darn near kill the flow : right ?
    Maybe I need to check my line hook up. does the flow direction make a big difference ? I believe I come out of the tank-through the torch-into the radiator-through the filter- and back into the tank.
    thanks for all the info !
    Here's a diagram of the hookup.
    HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images